1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Surface tention problem

1. Dec 26, 2011 #1
    Hello ,

A Problem I found In a book , although I have the answer , I cant understand it

the problem is

Calculate the force required to separate two glass plates of area 10 cm^2 each , with a film of water .5mm thick between them . take the coefficent of surface tention (T)to be 72 dyne/cm and theta = 0

The Answer written

since theta = 0 so the radius of curvature of the cylindrical surface between the plates is r = d/2 =.025 cm

((note : I Understand this but what If theta was another angle ??))

Delta P = T/r = 72/.025 = 2880 dyne/cm^2

the Normal force required = Delta P * Area = 2880*10 =2.88*10^4 dyne = .288 N #

I nead some explanation for this

Another _Identical problem_ says

two circular plates of radus 5 cm with 5 mm thick film of water betweem them , If the surface tention = 72.7*10^3 N/m , the normal force required to pull them Apart is what ?

it is the same I know , but in the solution ((the solution this time is not in the book , it is an assistant Engineer at the college)) said that :

Delta P = T(1/R1-1/R2) , R2 = infinity , so Delta P = T/R1

My problem is Why did he write a negative sign ?? I know it won't change the answer but why is it minus or it is just a writing error ??

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 27, 2011 #2
  4. Dec 27, 2011 #3

ehild

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Read http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Surface_tension

Zero contact angle means that the wall is tangent to the liquid surface. There are two parallel walls at distance d, therefore the radius of curvature is r=d/2. This is not true for other angles.

ehild

Attached Files:

5. Dec 27, 2011 #4
    Yes I do know that and I wrote that above , I asked what would be (mathematically) the radius curvature if theta was 30 degrees for example

Any way it is not my basic question here :D

6. Jan 6, 2012 #5
    I found some answers , but what I can't well understand is

how the pressure difference between the water and the air due to the curviture is multiplies by the (whole area) of the sheet , why ?

7. Jan 7, 2012 #6
    Up

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook