Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Surface waves in solids?

1. Jan 1, 2016 #1
    Hello all,
    - first of all sorry for my bad english, it's not my mother tong.
    - I write here because I want to understand that are the surface waves and how can we demonstrate their existance ? Do you have a PDF file which speak about this ?
    - For volumic waves I have seen a mathematical demonstration in the mechanical book and I understand what is a compressive and a shear wave and that is their velocities.
    - For a surface wave I don't understand how we can demonstrate their existance and that is their velocity ?

To conclude, my question is : do you have a PDF (or website) where I can find the mathematical development linked to the Rayleigh, Lamb and Love waves ?

Thanks you so much !

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 3, 2016 #2

Simon Bridge

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Welcome to PF;
    To get a quick handle on things here - start with your understanding of surface waves on liquids: how do you undertsand those?
    Then shift to surface waves on jelly - how do those work do you think?
    A solid, in this context, can be modelled as a very very stiff jelly.

To recommend reading material - we need to have some idea of your education level, and what sort of resources you have tried.
    For instance, have you see this:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rayleigh_wave

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook