Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Surface with prescribed metric

1. Jan 17, 2007 #1
    Consider a Riemannian metric in R^2, e.g. consider g given at a point (x,y) by the matrix
    (1 x
    x 1+x^2 )

Is there a surface S, embedded in R^3, which has the property that the metric on S which is induced by the Euclidean metric of R^3 coincides with the given metric g? If yes, what representation does S possess?

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 17, 2007 #2

Chris Hillman

Science Advisor

This isn't HW, is it?

Hi, KarstenKarsten,

Sounds like you are asking for an embedded surface in E^3 which has the stated metric. A good keyword to look up in a good differential geometry textbook should be "Monge patch" or "embedding". In any case, the idea is simple: write down an undetermined basis (two vectors in E^3) for the tangent space to some point of S, form their E^3 inner product, and compare with the desired induced metric on S. See "Coordinate tutorial" at http://www.math.ucr.edu/home/baez/RelWWW/group.html for some radially symmetric examples.

4. Jan 17, 2007 #3

gvk

It looks like it is not embedded surface in E^3 (3D Euclidian space). If the surface is given to us in the form z = f(x, y), then the metric induced on the surface is

[tex]g_{1,1} = 1 +f_{x}^{2}, g_{1,2}=g_{2,1} = f_{x} f_{y}, g_{2,2} = 1 + f_{y}^{2}[/tex].

In Karsten case
    [tex]g_{1,1} = 1 , g_{1,2}=g_{2,1} = x, g_{2,2} = 1 + x^{2}[/tex].

That means [tex]f_{x} =0[/tex] and should be [tex]g_{1,2}=g_{2,1} = 0[/tex].
    Hence, the surface is embedded in some noneucleadian 3D space.

5. Jan 18, 2007 #4
    Thanks!

I realize now that, at least, one can find a conformally equivalent metric
    g~_{ij} = c(x) g_{ij}
    with c(x) the solution of c(x)^2-c(x)(2+x^2) +1=0. And with g~ be metric of a in E^3 embedded surface. The components of g~ can then also be computed (and are slightly more complicated terms).

6. Jan 19, 2007 #5

Chris Hillman

Science Advisor

Right, you don't need a noneuclidean embedding space.

7. Jan 19, 2007 #6
    For me, it would somehow be counterintuitive that such an embedded surface should not exist.
    But can I obtain from the surface with the conformally equivalent metric a surface which actually has the very same metric I started with? How?
    (In the very beginning I started with the ansatz, as gvk proposed, of course...)

8. Jan 23, 2007 #7

gvk

The Riemannian tensor for your metric is [tex]R_{1,2,1,2}=-1[/tex]. That means your embedded 2D manifold has constant negative curvature. Of course, you always can orthogonize your metric to get conformal presentation in isothermal coords.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2007
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?