1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Surfaces of Revolution

1. Oct 11, 2007 #1
    Consider the ellipse:

[tex] (\frac{x}{2})^2 + y^2 = 1 [/tex]

We rotate this ellipse about the x-axis to form a surface known as ellipsoid. Determine the area of this surface.

Start off by solving for y.

[tex] y = \sqrt{1-\frac{x^2}{4}} [/tex]

Then find the derivative.

[tex]y' = \frac{-x}{2\sqrt{4-x^2}} [/tex]

Then plug into the formula for surface of revolution.

[tex] S = \int 2\pi y \sqrt{1+(\frac{dy}{dx})^2} dx [/tex]

[tex] 2 \pi \int \sqrt{1-\frac{x^2}{4}} \sqrt{1+(\frac{-x}{2\sqrt{4-x^2}})^2} dx [/tex]

Plenty of simplifications later yields

[tex] \frac{\pi}{2} \int \sqrt{16-3x^2} dx [/tex]

Now I haven't found that anti-derivative yet but just looking at it tells you its going to be extremely ugly. But all I remember my professor showing us in class was beautiful little problems that come out to [tex]\int 4x dx [/tex] or something simple like that. So that makes me think I'm wrong.

Any help?

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 11, 2007 #2

rock.freak667

Homework Helper

Well I found a formula for it but I am not really sure how to show the working for it. But here is the formula

[tex]\int \sqrt{a^2-x^2} dx =\frac{1}{2}(x\sqrt{a^2-x^2}+a^2sin^{-1}(\frac{x}{a}))+ c[/tex]

4. Oct 11, 2007 #3
    I trust you that it works but we haven't been taught to use that formula yet, so I'm pretty sure he wouldn't have us use it.

I'm thinking I got something wrong in getting from the initial plug in to the end simplification.

Thanks tho =P

5. Oct 11, 2007 #4

rock.freak667

Homework Helper

AH seems that I should actually work out the problems more...when I did it...the end result was less complicated than what you had...you did some wrong algebra in there

6. Oct 11, 2007 #5
    Hrmm...any hints? Been through it a few times and all I have changed is a positive to a negative and a negative to a positive. Haven't found anything to make it easier.

7. Oct 11, 2007 #6

rock.freak667

Homework Helper

Well it seems i made a mistake..twice...i keep getting what you initially had..the only help i can suggest is

[tex]\frac{\pi}{x}\int \sqrt{16-(\sqrt{3}x)^2} dx[/tex]

Let [tex](\sqrt{3})x=4sin\theta[/tex] and work from there....but since it is a surface area of revolution I would expect some limits so then it would be easy from here

8. Oct 11, 2007 #7
    So after playing with it and using that substitution I get to
    [tex]8\pi + \frac{4\pi(sin^-^1(3/2)-sin^-^1(-3/2))}{3}[/tex]

Can't help but think I got something wrong in there.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?