Understanding Surge Protector Specs: A Guide for the Computer Age

• Thread starter kiki_danc
  • Start date
In summary, the Mean Well RS-50-24 can withstand a 300VAC surge input up to 5 seconds. To determine the joules it can protect against, multiply the volts (220) by the joules (680).
jim hardy said:
It is the job of the grounding at the pole and service entrance to prevent that.

However lightning can do exactly what you describe. Happened to me once.
It's good practice to stay away from metal appliances when there's lightning in the neighborhood.

You will find this thread helpful.
https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/not-fully-understanding-grounds.622107/#post-4007190
See post #10.

Ok. I guess putting surge protectors between neutral and ground can minimize the shock(?) maybe that's why there is N-G (Neutral-Ground) protection mode besides L-N, L-G, N-G? Is this the purpose of the N-G mode? When you use the say Siemens 140,000A surge protector and a lightning with energy of 6000V, 130,000A hit the lines.. then the Siemens will absorb them leaving only the VPR of 600 volts?
Tom wrote earlier that
"Consider a nearby lightning strike that puts 6000V on the power line to ground. Much equipment is rated perhaps 600V or so from line to chassis, the the chassis is now at 6000V, and so is everything in it and connected to it. Is there anything near enough to the equipment that a 6000V spark can jump to? For instance the insulation in a transformer would likely break down if anything on its secondary is grounded or near a ground or a large conducting surface. If the transformer is mounted in an electrical box, the box would likely be grounded and the an arc would jump to the transformer core, to the box, to ground. If a person happens to be in contact with the equipment, he/she is now at 6000V; is the floor wet, person touching another piece of equipment at the same time?"

Anyway. I got so much information now that the most logical thing left is to start grounding all metal enclosure and know what surge protectors to use. I guess this is it. Thanks to all who supplied much useful and helpful information!

Engineering news on Phys.org
kiki_danc said:
If a person happens to be in contact with the equipment, he/she is now at 6000V; is the floor wet, person touching another piece of equipment at the same time?"

Read in one of those links i posted my anecdote about holding a metal cased electric drill when lightning struck my power pole .
I learned most of what i understand about grounding in that visceral half second . I knew the instant it hit exactly what had happened.

So you use multiple protections wherever they're appropriate
grounding to limit voltage between people and earth
and double insulate to prevent current flow through people.In your above scenario ,
if lightning elevated local Earth to 6000 volts so the floor is also at 6000 volts then there's no potential difference to drive current through the person. That's why metal buildings are grounded .

You now have understanding of the principles of grounding
it will take you months to work out in your mind "what if" thought experiments that resolve apparent logical conflicts.
Kirchoff's laws of voltage and current are the thought tools.

have fun ,
and share your knowledge&experience with others as it grows..

Likes kiki_danc
Thread is closed for a bit...

The OP's question has been abundantly answered, so I'm closing this thread.

Likes Tom.G, davenn and jim hardy
<h2>1. What is a surge protector and how does it work?</h2><p>A surge protector is a device that protects electronic devices from voltage spikes or surges. It works by diverting excess voltage to the grounding wire, preventing it from reaching the connected devices.</p><h2>2. How do I choose the right surge protector for my computer?</h2><p>When choosing a surge protector for your computer, look for one with a high joule rating, a low clamping voltage, and a UL 1449 rating. It should also have enough outlets to accommodate all of your devices.</p><h2>3. What is a joule rating and why is it important?</h2><p>A joule rating measures the amount of energy a surge protector can absorb before it fails. The higher the joule rating, the more protection it can provide for your electronic devices.</p><h2>4. What is a clamping voltage and why is it important?</h2><p>Clamping voltage is the voltage at which the surge protector starts to divert excess voltage. A lower clamping voltage means better protection for your devices, as it will activate sooner.</p><h2>5. How often should I replace my surge protector?</h2><p>Surge protectors should be replaced every 2-3 years, or after a major surge event. Over time, the components in a surge protector can degrade, making it less effective at protecting your devices.</p>

1. What is a surge protector and how does it work?

A surge protector is a device that protects electronic devices from voltage spikes or surges. It works by diverting excess voltage to the grounding wire, preventing it from reaching the connected devices.

2. How do I choose the right surge protector for my computer?

When choosing a surge protector for your computer, look for one with a high joule rating, a low clamping voltage, and a UL 1449 rating. It should also have enough outlets to accommodate all of your devices.

3. What is a joule rating and why is it important?

A joule rating measures the amount of energy a surge protector can absorb before it fails. The higher the joule rating, the more protection it can provide for your electronic devices.

4. What is a clamping voltage and why is it important?

Clamping voltage is the voltage at which the surge protector starts to divert excess voltage. A lower clamping voltage means better protection for your devices, as it will activate sooner.

5. How often should I replace my surge protector?

Surge protectors should be replaced every 2-3 years, or after a major surge event. Over time, the components in a surge protector can degrade, making it less effective at protecting your devices.