Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Surgeries

1. Jan 1, 2004 #1
    List some commonly performed surgeries in America.

I'll start:

Cataract - phaco out bad lens and replace it with IOL, Intraocular Lens implant.

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 1, 2004 #2

adrenaline

Science Advisor

Vasectomy the most common form of birth control in this country

Back surgery, the third most common surgery in america

If you include all I and Ds or Incision and Drainages of abceseses, this has got to be the most common since non surgeons can preform these on superficial abcesses.

Hysterectomies

Hip replacement (it's in the top 10)

4. Jan 1, 2004 #3

Vasectomy offers sterilization forever?? Why would someone offer that operation on men?

5. Jan 1, 2004 #4

adrenaline

Science Advisor

The guy pretty much is done with kids

Benefits:

1. The wife does not prolong ingestion of birth control pills which have the disadvantage of increasing her chances of blood clots, strokes, and weight gain.

2. Most guys don't want to keep using condoms, hence the above

3. Unlike tubal ligation of women, it is not an intrabdominal procedure and does not incur the risk of intrabdominal surgeries including: more risk of bleeding, difficulty of access and the potential for setting up adhesions which can come back and cause small bowel obstructions in the far future.

4. You save money on condoms or birth control pills.

5. The world is overpopulated

The men do not make these decisions without some thought. Many have a clutch full of kids from more than one marriage and are not financially capable or emotionally able to have another.

6. Jan 1, 2004 #5

umm, what kind of sick men wanna do that?? **** everyday?

7. Jan 1, 2004 #6

adrenaline

Science Advisor

It's an easy surgery, you just snip the vas deferens which are outside the abdominal cavity . Most guys are back to having sex, bikng etc. within a week. Clipping the fallopian tubes (the female equivalent of vas deferens so to speak,) is much more painful and a longer postoperative recovery.

8. Jan 1, 2004 #7
    Plastic surgery. Breast enchancement. Facial recontructive surgery.

9. Jan 2, 2004 #8

Monique

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

*makes a mental note*

10. Jan 2, 2004 #9

Njorl

Science Advisor

Only a woman would say that. I don't want any snipping around little Njorl! Well... not little Njorl ... um medium Njorl ... yeah, that's the ticket!

Njorl

11. Jan 2, 2004 #10

adrenaline

Science Advisor

12. Jan 2, 2004 #11
    Oh ya, well nothing says lovin like watching an appesiotomy(sp?).
    It's where they slice right up the middle to widen inner labia to allow for the birthing process. I was fine right up until that happened. I can watch blood, guts, mucous, even openings stretching way past what they were meant to do. But when they started slicing stuff up down there, I had to sit down.

Take THAT!

Last edited: Jan 2, 2004
  13. Jan 2, 2004 #12

Monique

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Even MORE reason to have the MALE's tubes snipped.

14. Jan 2, 2004 #13

Njorl

Science Advisor

When my daughter was being delivered, they had to do an unexpected epeziotomy. The doctor just grabbed some scissors and started chopping away. I nearly went berserk. I started letting go of my wifes foot so I could pummel the doctor. I imagine it would not have been a helpful thing to do.

Njorl

15. Jan 2, 2004 #14

Tsu

Gold Member

The kind of man who loves his wife and is willing to undergo a minor office procedure instead of putting her through the multiple health risks of BC pills or full-blown surgery with anesthesia and the previously-mentioned risks of THAT!

Uh, what do you mean "everyday?"? (*raises eyebrow*)

16. Jan 2, 2004 #15

Tsu

Gold Member

Wimp. Ivan came to work with me one night while I was on call many years ago, and we were trying to get an IV going on a rather difficult pt. Just as we got the cath into the vein, the pt. became even more agitated and a little more blood 'escaped' than usual. Ivan was helping to hold the pt. down for the procedure and suddenly became rather pale and I had to send him into the next room to recover. He usually does not have this type of problem with blood - unlike all the big, tough college football players that we always did lab work on during their sports physicals. I can't tell you how many of these guys we had to pick up off the floor of the lab after their blood draws!! What a RIOT!

17. Jan 2, 2004 #16

Tsu

Gold Member

Knee replacements, shoulder and knee arthroscopies, emergency appendectomies (usually about one a week at most hospitals I've worked at), cervical fusions...all extremely common. Also, tonsillectomies are still done quite a bit by some MD's, although not as much as they used to be done. Tubal ligations (for the women of the men who just plain shrivel up at the mere thought of a vasectomy for themselves ) still seem to be quite a hit on the surgery schedules these days. Surgical removal of foreign bodies (various items from various body parts and orifices) has been on the rise in recent years as well.

18. Jan 2, 2004 #17

how much does that vactosectomy cost? do you know, bud?

19. Jan 2, 2004 #18

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Heck, we got our little pair of scissors at WalMart for a couple of dollars. The ice was free.

20. Jan 2, 2004 #19

Tsu

Gold Member

Depends. Call your family physician. He/she will be able to give you all the info you need. I think, though, you may be a tad young to be considering this, don't you? Please tell me you're just curious and you are not considering this. Talk to your parents or doctor if you are.

21. Jan 2, 2004 #20

Tsu

Gold Member

Yes, and I got to do something I always wanted to try! That was such a fun day. Wasn't it, honey? )]

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?