1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Surjection Question

1. Nov 28, 2007 #1
    If a function f: N-->X is surjective , is f^-1(X) (its inverse image) also surjective? If so, why?

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 29, 2007 #2

Hurkyl

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

f^-1(X) isn't a function...

Anyways, have you looked at any examples?

4. Nov 29, 2007 #3

Chris Hillman

Science Advisor

Hurkyl meant: isn't a function unless f is one-one, i.e. injective and surjective, i.e. bijective. Was this a trick question from some problem set?

5. Nov 29, 2007 #4

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

No, Chris, I don't believe that's what Hurkyl meant! I started to interpret f-1(X) as if it were f-1(x) and say "that's not necessarily a function", but f-1(X) is the "inverse image" of X. It's not a function for the very good reason that f-1(X) is a set of natural numbers.

I suspect that the correct question was "If f: N->X is surjective is f-1(X)= N?" If I understand what is meant by "f:N->X", then "surjective" is irrelevant. For ANY function f:N->X, that is, "to every point in N assigns a point in X", f-1(X)= N.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?