1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Surjective function

1. Jan 11, 2009 #1
    Let f:R-->R be continuous and satisfy |f(x)-f(y)|>or eq. to k|x-y| for all x, y in R and some k>0. Show that f is surjective.

I can show that f is injective: let f(x) = f(y), hence k|x-y|< or eq. to 0, thus x=y.

I had a suggestion that it might be helpful to show that f has closed image. But I don't see how to work with that.
    I know that f is surjective if for each y in R there is an x in R such that f(x)=y.
    I don't see how to proceed.
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 11, 2009 #2

Gold Member

Well, assuming the function is injective (I'm not great with these proofs so I'm not sure yours is correct) and f is also surjective, then f is a bijection; hence, f must have a have a one to one correspondance. Now suppose f is not bijective, then there must be some value f(x) = f(y) where y > x (for definiteness), can you show how this contradicts your initial conditions?
  4. Jan 12, 2009 #3

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

This isn't a very difficult proof. Consider f(-x), f(0) and f(x) while x goes to infinity.
  5. Jan 12, 2009 #4

Gold Member

Crap, I mixed my definitions up. Sorry math8!

Well, here's my idea for a proof for surjection (really this time). Suppose f is not surjective. Then, since f is continuous, as x -> infinity, f(x) -> N (or at least varies between values in some finite interval). Now we fix y such that y = 0 and f(y) = C. Therefore, abs(N - C) >= k lim (x -> infinity) abs(x) which cannot be true. Use a similar approach to completely show f is surjective (I think it should work, though my approach is a quite informal). Again, I'm really sorry!
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?