1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Surjective functions

1. Mar 10, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    i) Show explicitly that any non-injective function with a right inverse has another right inverse
    ii) Give an example of a function which has (at least) two distinct left inverses

2. Relevant equations
    i) I don't believe there are any.
    ii) "

3. The attempt at a solution
    i) Since it says "explicitly" I doubt that my attempt would count as a solution even if it were correct, but here it is;

Since the function is non-injective and has a right inverse, it must therefore be surjective as it cannot be bijective, and in order for this function to be surjective it must have at least one more right inverse.

I also tried showing first that f(x) = x^3 - x is non-injective and then showing that the values x = -1,0,1 map to f(x) = 0 that I would be showing this is true but I am not sure if it is correct.

ii) For this I am really not sure if there is an easier way to do it apart from trial and error but I understand the theory behind it.

Thanks in advance,
    SD123

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 10, 2011 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Try something as simple as this: f:{a, b, c}--> {x, y} defined by f(a)= x,f(b)= x, f(c)= y. g:{x, y}-->{a, b, c}, defined by g(x)= a, g(y)= c is a right inverse.

Think about that example to prove (i). However, note that an example is NOT a general proof.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?