Solving Surjective Functions Homework

In summary, the conversation discusses the need to show that a non-injective function with a right inverse must have another right inverse, as well as providing an example of a function with at least two distinct left inverses. The example given is f:{a,b,c}--> {x,y} defined by f(a)=x, f(b)=x, f(c)=y and g:{x,y}-->{a,b,c} defined by g(x)=a, g(y)=c.
SD123

Homework Statement

i) Show explicitly that any non-injective function with a right inverse has another right inverse
ii) Give an example of a function which has (at least) two distinct left inverses

Homework Equations

i) I don't believe there are any.
ii) "

The Attempt at a Solution

i) Since it says "explicitly" I doubt that my attempt would count as a solution even if it were correct, but here it is;

Since the function is non-injective and has a right inverse, it must therefore be surjective as it cannot be bijective, and in order for this function to be surjective it must have at least one more right inverse.

I also tried showing first that f(x) = x^3 - x is non-injective and then showing that the values x = -1,0,1 map to f(x) = 0 that I would be showing this is true but I am not sure if it is correct.

ii) For this I am really not sure if there is an easier way to do it apart from trial and error but I understand the theory behind it.

Thanks in advance,
SD123

Physics news on Phys.org
Try something as simple as this: f:{a, b, c}--> {x, y} defined by f(a)= x,f(b)= x, f(c)= y. g:{x, y}-->{a, b, c}, defined by g(x)= a, g(y)= c is a right inverse.

Think about that example to prove (i). However, note that an example is NOT a general proof.

1. What is a surjective function?

A surjective function is a type of mathematical function in which every element in the range (output) of the function is mapped to by at least one element in the domain (input) of the function. In other words, every element in the output has a corresponding element in the input. This is also known as being "onto".

2. How do I know if a function is surjective?

To determine if a function is surjective, you can use the vertical line test. Draw vertical lines at different points along the x-axis and see if they intersect the graph of the function more than once. If every point on the y-axis is intersected at least once, then the function is surjective.

3. What is the difference between a surjective and injective function?

A surjective function is "onto", meaning every element in the range is mapped to by at least one element in the domain. An injective function is "one-to-one", meaning every element in the range is mapped to by at most one element in the domain. In other words, no two elements in the domain are mapped to the same element in the range.

4. How can I solve a surjective function?

To solve a surjective function, you can use the inverse function method. This involves finding the inverse of the function and substituting the input value with the output value to get the original input. You can also use algebraic methods to solve for the input value.

5. Why is it important to understand and solve surjective functions?

Surjective functions are important in mathematics because they help us understand and model real-world phenomena. They also allow us to determine if a function has a valid inverse and can help us solve a variety of problems in fields such as engineering, economics, and physics.