Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Surprise visit from Rocky

1. Oct 25, 2005 #1

Math Is Hard

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Last night after class I was in the kitchen doing some homework, and I had left the front door cracked for the cat to come in from the patio. I suddenly hear her in the living room growling at something. I figure my neighbor's cat had come upstairs to pester her. Then she starts making this I-am-really-upset noise so I go over to see what the problem is and shoo the neighbor cat away.

What do I see in my living room but a full-grown raccoon and it's nose to nose with my cat! Luckily, when the raccoon saw me it turned around and ran out the front door. I don't know what I would have done if it had headed for my room and gone under the bed!

This raccoon is quite bold. I have seen it around before at night- in a staring contest with the neighbor's cat as a matter of fact. Even after I chased it off it was still sitting at the bottom of the stairs so I had to clap my hands at it to get it to move on.

Last edited: Oct 25, 2005
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 25, 2005 #2

matthyaouw

Gold Member

Raccoons are cool. I wish they lived in England. The most exciting mammals I get in my garden are my guinea pigs.

4. Oct 25, 2005 #3

Math Is Hard

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I will send you one! :biggrin:
    I did not know guinea pigs roamed freely anywhere these days. That's pretty cool. I thought they could only be found in pet stores anymore.

5. Oct 25, 2005 #4

matthyaouw

Gold Member

These roam freely around their cages (oxymoron?)... And occasionally the floor when I put them there, but they are hard to get back, so I don't do that often.

6. Oct 25, 2005 #5

Evo

Staff: Mentor

At first I thought Sylvester Stalone had visited. :rofl:

A racoon is much better. I prefer possums in my house though.

7. Oct 25, 2005 #6

Math Is Hard

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

well, it is L.A. and people do occasionally find mentally deranged celebrities wandering around their yards. :biggrin:

8. Oct 25, 2005 #7

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Racoons are very dangerous to small animals. A real problem around here, a buddy had a small dog killed by a racoon about a year ago. I would call animal control and have it removed or you might end up with seriously damaged [or worse] kitties.

9. Oct 25, 2005 #8
    I thought it was Stalone too lol. Interesting story, good that your cat is ok :smile:

10. Oct 25, 2005 #9

Math Is Hard

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

if we see it hanging around anymore we might have to do something. There are two apartment buildings next to each other where I live and everyone has at least one cat.
    thanks, matt. yeah, the funny thing is that my cat is a spoiled little cream puff, but when she saw another animal invade her territory she was instantly as fierce and furious as any feral you'd see in a dark alley. Her tail 'bottle brushed' out so completely that it rivaled the coon's tail in size! God, I am glad she didn't lunge at it. She tried to go after it down the stairs, but I grabbed her in time.

11. Oct 25, 2005 #10

Math Is Hard

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I've been reading this story about a couple who raised some unwanted baby raccoons that people were going to hand over to animal control. There was one amusing story they told about a nature lover bemoaning the sad existence of their raccoons because they would never get to play in a stream like the ones in nature.
    yes, but the raccoons in nature don't get to play in cabinets! they countered.
    :smile:
    [​IMG]
    http://www.loomcom.com/raccoons/info/saga/saga0.html
    one of the babies
    [​IMG]

12. Oct 25, 2005 #11
    Awwww... those are cute.
    I once got to hold a baby opossum. It was so cute, like an extra large rat.

You mean like the gutter? I suppose they wont get to play in other people's garbage cans either.

13. Oct 26, 2005 #12
    The urban racoon does not live an idyllic life, no.

I find their behavior strange, too. A family, or perhaps gang of them sometimes climbs up a tree that is too close to the building here, and they cavort on the roof. I can't explain it since there's no food or water up there for them. They seem to be playing tag.

14. Oct 26, 2005 #13
    As long as they don't believe they are celestial beings awaiting the return of their spaceship I think we are alright. :uhh:

Who knows what raccoons think? Maybe they like living in gutters and poking through people's nasty garbage. It's good enough for some homeless people and they don't even get to play tag on Zooby's roof.

15. Oct 26, 2005 #14

Math Is Hard

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Zooby, do they ever try to come into the brush shelter? (the raccoons, I mean, not homeless people)

16. Oct 26, 2005 #15
    No, and I'm glad because there's five or six of them and I think, working together, they could take me.

17. Oct 27, 2005 #16

Les Sleeth

Gold Member

I guess my age is showing, I was thinking of the squirrel.

18. Oct 27, 2005 #17

Math Is Hard

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

:smile:

Les, how do your felines get along with the local wildlife?

19. Oct 27, 2005 #18

Les Sleeth

Gold Member

They all get along, but as you know we live in a very open, undeveloped area where there's enough space and food sources for all. I have heard a number of stories like Ivan's where raccoons living around developed areas get more aggressive. They are tough and can kill cats easily.

The other wildlife, like foxes and the occasional Great Gray Owl, or the Bald Eagles and Ospreys (on their way to the Pacific to fish) have worried me. Probably the most worrisome is the mountain lion hanging around a nearby park. I've told my wife she would be a very tasty morsel and to make sure to carry cat repellant with her when she jogs there. :biggrin:

20. Oct 27, 2005 #19

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Ugh! In my last house, there were a couple of raccoons that would do that, and always at 3 AM...or thereabouts...I'd just be drifting off to sleep and Thump thump thump thumpity thumpity bumpity thumpity pitter pitter pitter patter bump thunk scritch scritch scritch Then there'd be a pause, and I'd calm myself back down and just start to fall asleep, and again bump dadump dadump dadump thumpity pitter patter bump thump :grumpy: I was never in a good mood the next day.

21. Oct 27, 2005 #20
    A surprisingly accurate rendition. I guess their routine is the same everywhere.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?