1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Surprising static equilibrium

1. Feb 21, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Consider the situation of the figure, where a string of negligible mass and length L is fixed at two points A and B, with B dislocated of A by a distance w(<L) and vertically dislocated by a distance h < sqrt(L^2-w^2) A mass is hung on the rope using a moving pulley of negligible mass. The pulley has no friction and can move freely along the rope until it "finds" the position of equilibrium in which the pulley is at a horizontal distance x of point A, and a vertical distance y of that point.

static_hanging.jpg

What are the equilibrium angles Theta(1) and Theta(2)?
    What are the values of x, y , L1 and L2 at equilibrium?

2. Relevant equations

There aren't any besides the fact that the potential energy must be a minimum

3. The attempt at a solution

I can't even get started.

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 21, 2010 #2

PhanthomJay

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I haven't looked at this problem in any detail, but it seems that there are enough equilibrium equations, and given geometry, to solve it. You should probably start by drawing a free body diagram of the hanging mass, and writing the 2 equilibrium equations using Newton's 1st law. Note that ideal pulleys change the direction of the tension in the cable, but not its magnitude. Then you've got to do some trig work.

4. Feb 21, 2010 #3
    Thanks for the reply, but my problems is in the trig work. I don't know how to get started

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook