Surreal Physics Movies

• Thread starter hodgeman
  • Start date

Main Question or Discussion Point

Hi!
I'm looking for movies that have surreal physics. E.g. action movies with severe violation of conservation of momentum, scifi movies with "quantum" stuff in the plot ..etc.

What are your favorites?

Answers and Replies

DaveC426913
Gold Member
I'm looking for movies that have surreal physics. E.g. action movies with severe violation of conservation of momentum,
With the possible exception of Apollo 13 and 2001: A Space Odyssey, all of them.

Klystron
Gold Member
From contemporary movies I choose "Inception". Most of the action and drama take place in dreams with elaborate 'dream-within-dream' sequences yet with a consistent dream-world physics dependent on local gravity within each dream level.

Inception includes several good story telling tropes including the naive student learning the inception system from the grizzled burnt-out veteran that also informs the audience of the rules, dangers and limitations; and
the all consuming grief of the veteran dream-scaper after the accidental death of his wife

Klystron
Gold Member
For a contemporary movie that tries to show realistic physics watch "Gravity" on largest available screen.

I would like to salute The Big Bang Theory for never gratuitously spewing stupid and incorrect jargon. I never detected an erroneous reference. Also they had Bob Newhart as Professor Proton..........an inspired choice.

DaveC426913
Gold Member
I would like to salute The Big Bang Theory for never gratuitously spewing stupid and incorrect jargon. I never detected an erroneous reference. Also they had Bob Newhart as Professor Proton..........an inspired choice.
Hate to burst your bubble.
When Leonard and Priya are getting it on in his room, Raj overhears Leonard saying "This is the starship Enterprise, orbiting 20 miles above Earth...[insert sexual double intendre here]"
:smile: