Surreal Physics Movies: Share Your Favorites!

In summary, the conversation discusses movies with surreal physics, with the recommendation of Inception and the mention of Apollo 13, 2001: A Space Odyssey, and Gravity for more realistic physics. The discussion also praises The Big Bang Theory for accurately portraying scientific concepts and references, with a humorous example.
hodgeman
Hi!
I'm looking for movies that have surreal physics. E.g. action movies with severe violation of conservation of momentum, scifi movies with "quantum" stuff in the plot ..etc.

What are your favorites?

Physics news on Phys.org
Which movie does not violate physical laws?

Likes russ_watters, hodgeman and DaveC426913
hodgeman said:
I'm looking for movies that have surreal physics. E.g. action movies with severe violation of conservation of momentum,
With the possible exception of Apollo 13 and 2001: A Space Odyssey, all of them.

Likes hodgeman
From contemporary movies I choose "Inception". Most of the action and drama take place in dreams with elaborate 'dream-within-dream' sequences yet with a consistent dream-world physics dependent on local gravity within each dream level.

Inception includes several good story telling tropes including the naive student learning the inception system from the grizzled burnt-out veteran that also informs the audience of the rules, dangers and limitations; and
the all consuming grief of the veteran dream-scaper after the accidental death of his wife

Likes DaveC426913 and hodgeman
For a contemporary movie that tries to show realistic physics watch "Gravity" on largest available screen.

Likes hodgeman
I would like to salute The Big Bang Theory for never gratuitously spewing stupid and incorrect jargon. I never detected an erroneous reference. Also they had Bob Newhart as Professor Proton...an inspired choice.

Likes DaveC426913, PeroK, hodgeman and 1 other person
And of course...
1579028671867.png

• Haha
Likes Klystron, Vanadium 50, david2 and 3 others
DaveC426913 said:
And of course...
View attachment 255595
Hahaha. You only fall if you do a measurement of the floor; orthodox Quantum Mechanics.

• Haha
Likes ChemAir, Klystron, BillTre and 1 other person
hutchphd said:
I would like to salute The Big Bang Theory for never gratuitously spewing stupid and incorrect jargon. I never detected an erroneous reference. Also they had Bob Newhart as Professor Proton...an inspired choice.
Hate to burst your bubble.
When Leonard and Priya are getting it on in his room, Raj overhears Leonard saying "This is the starship Enterprise, orbiting 20 miles above Earth...[insert sexual double intendre here]"
:smile:

Likes hutchphd

1. What is surreal physics in movies?

Surreal physics in movies refers to the use of elements of surrealism and fantastical elements in the portrayal of scientific concepts and principles in films. This can include things like bending the laws of physics or using imaginary or dreamlike scenarios to explore scientific ideas.

2. What are some popular examples of surreal physics movies?

Some popular examples of surreal physics movies include "Inception," "Interstellar," and "Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind." These films use surreal elements to explore concepts such as time travel, alternate realities, and the human mind.

3. How do surreal physics movies differ from traditional science fiction films?

Surreal physics movies differ from traditional science fiction films in that they often focus more on exploring scientific concepts and ideas rather than just using them as a backdrop for action or adventure. These movies also tend to blur the lines between reality and imagination, creating a dreamlike or surreal atmosphere.

4. Why do filmmakers use surreal physics in movies?

Filmmakers may use surreal physics in movies to add a layer of intrigue and mystery to their stories, as well as to explore complex scientific concepts in a more visually engaging way. Surreal elements can also create a sense of wonder and allow for more imaginative storytelling.

5. Can surreal physics movies be scientifically accurate?

While surreal physics movies may take creative liberties with scientific concepts and principles, they can still be scientifically accurate in their own way. These films often use real scientific theories as inspiration and may even consult with experts in the field to ensure a degree of accuracy in their portrayal of complex ideas.