Surveillance Works: How Do You Feel About It Now?

• News
  • Thread starter Evo
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Works
In summary, the author thinks that the government should use surveillance because of the terrorist plots that have been foiled and the potential for future terrorist plots. They also think that the government should reduce restrictions on surveillance because British intelligence services were able to foil a terrorist plot.
Evo
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
After the news yesterday of British, Pakistani and US surveillance thwarting a terrorist plot that would have killed thousands of innocent men, women, and children. How do you feel about surveillance now?

Here is a good op-ed piece that basically recaps what happened and also reminds us of the thwarted attacks in Toronto two months ago thanks to surveillance.

I have never been against surveillance or record gathering, I have nothing to hide and do not suffer from paranoia that the govermenment would give a hairy rats @ss what I'm doing. We live in dangerous times. There are nuts out there and we have to give the people we pay to protect us the ability to protect us.

Do you think the government should not have used surveillance and the death of thousands of innocents is acceptable because we have a right to our privacy and a few thousands deaths now and then is just the price we have to pay?

http://www.washtimes.com/op-ed/20060810-084233-1883r.htm

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't think it is so much what the government is doing with the intel now but what they may do in the future. Who will be in charge and will their motives be sinister in nature. This surveillance has also been used to uncover money flows that were once hidden. I doubt the IRS wouldn't use this kind of information to their advantage if they needed to.

According to the article, US government surveilance restrictions and oversight should be decreased because British intelligence services were able to foil a terrorist plot.

What a pile of tripe.
This may or may not be the result of a "terrorism surveillance program" so controversial of late, but it surely demonstrates the need.
Um, how does foiling the plot (i.e. success) indicate that more powers or resources are necessary? I'd think that would be an indication that the resources were (at least in this case) clearly sufficient.

Moreover, the article is clearly conflating a lack of oversight with the existence of an effective surveilance program, when, realistically speaking, the opposite is more likely to be true.

Why add a couple of yellow ribbons, US flags, the passage "will somebody think of the children", and play "god bless america" in the background?

P.S.
Barring some interesting chemistry, it's unlikely that the passengers would be incinerated by a bomb the size of a sports drink bottle. It's much more likely that they'd be killed by the impact with the water, or drowned afterwards.

Well the IRS has always has an incredible amount of information on us.

There is always the chance that someone could use information the wrong way, or obtain it in questionable ways. I don't feel that I am at any personal risk from any information the government has on me. I don't live in fear of it. I think they have more important things to track. My bank records and finances have never been secret.

NateTG said:
According to the article, US government surveilance restrictions and oversight should be decreased because British intelligence services were able to foil a terrorist plot.
That wasn't in the article I posted. My article said it was a joint effort of British, Pakistani and US. Please post a link to the article you are talking about.

Um, how does foiling the plot (i.e. success) indicate that more powers or resources are necessary? I'd think that would be an indication that the resources were (at least in this case) clearly sufficient.
Again, that wasn't in the article I posted, it suggests that what happened is a good reason to continue the current programs. Please post a link to the article you are referring to.

Moreover, the article is clearly conflating a lack of oversight with the existence of an effective surveilance program, when, realistically speaking, the opposite is more likely to be true.
What article are you reading? Did you even read the article I posted? Doesn't sound like it.

Last edited:
Evo said:
After the news yesterday of British, Pakistani and US surveillance thwarting a terrorist plot that would have killed thousands of innocent men, women, and children. How do you feel about surveillance now?

Here is a good op-ed piece that basically recaps what happened and also reminds us of the thwarted attacks in Toronto two months ago thanks to surveillance.

I have never been against surveillance or record gathering, I have nothing to hide and do not suffer from paranoia that the govermenment would give a hairy rats @ss what I'm doing. We live in dangerous times. There are nuts out there and we have to give the people we pay to protect us the ability to protect us.

Do you think the government should not have used surveillance and the death of thousands of innocents is acceptable because we have a right to our privacy and a few thousands deaths now and then is just the price we have to pay?

In short, I agree with everything you said.

I flat-out don't understand people's desire for privacy. If it helps the FBI catch a criminal, they can have at my phone lines, bank records, whatever. As long as the use of the information is legit, there is no harm in the gathering of it.

NateTG said:
Barring some interesting chemistry, it's unlikely that the passengers would be incinerated by a bomb the size of a sports drink bottle. It's much more likely that they'd be killed by the impact with the water, or drowned afterwards.
I'm not sure what your point is here...

russ_watters said:

I flat-out don't understand people's desire for privacy. If it helps the FBI catch a criminal, they can have at my phone lines, bank records, whatever. As long as the use of the information is legit, there is no harm in the gathering of it.
It's called http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Separation_of_powers" . When countries adhere to this model the tax agency can't use the information gathered by agencies dealing with terrorism.

Last edited by a moderator:
http://www.sciam.com/article.cfm?chanID=sa003&articleID=000A108C-BE4B-14DB-BE4B83414B7F0000&ref=rss

Odds are, the biggest hazard is that of an epidemic of projectile vomiting provoked by the stench of burnt morons.

This may be less a "success" than it's touted to be --- more in the category of "the shoe bomber" slapstick than a serious threat.

Yonoz said:
It's called http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Separation_of_powers" . When countries adhere to this model the tax agency can't use the information gathered by agencies dealing with terrorism.
I don't understand what you mean. You're already required by law to provide the IRS whatever info it needs to assess your compliance with tax law.

Yonoz said:
I don't understand what you're trying to say here.

Are you saying that the IRS can't use information gathered by the surveilance of terrorists? That's not what we're dicussing.

Law enforcement agencies can get financial records of suspects, this appears to be one of the methods used in yesterdays arrest, also the bank accounts of all the suspects have been frozen.

Do you know that one of America's most notorious criminals, Al Capone was sentenced to prison, not for any of his crimes, but for tax evasion. But let's stay on topic.

Bystander said:
http://www.sciam.com/article.cfm?chanID=sa003&articleID=000A108C-BE4B-14DB-BE4B83414B7F0000&ref=rss

Odds are, the biggest hazard is that of an epidemic of projectile vomiting provoked by the stench of burnt morons.

This may be less a "success" than it's touted to be --- more in the category of "the shoe bomber" slapstick than a serious threat.
I'm not sure I follow your logic. Reid was a joke because he was caught, right? This operation appears to have had more significant planning and I would think it would have had better odds of success.

Where do we draw the line though? For instance, would you be comfortable with surveillance inside your home. Do you think they should have the right to audit any aspect of your life as long as it is done within the confines of due process? I know if there is a criminal investigation the government has tremendous power to delve into my life but it is the compilation and archival of this information that worries me. Who is entitled to look at it? What assurances does the government give that that this information will not get out? Several banks and even the VA have had information compromised because of simple theft of laptops.

russ_watters said:
I'm not sure I follow your logic. Reid was a joke because he was caught, right? This operation appears to have had more significant planning and I would think it would have had better odds of success.

You've never had the "privilege" of TA-ing chem labs when there were a few Moslems in the class --- one hand on the chain to the safety shower at all times --- other on the first aid kit. "Dangerous?" Yes. A "threat?" No. Reid was "a joke" because Reid was a joke. Buncha religious nuts with copies of "the anarchists' cookbook?" Slapstick. Let 'em run loose on airliners making the other passengers ill as they turn themselves into "Phantoms of the Opera?" No. Was it a "sophisticated" plot? No. Did it take Sherlock Holmes to expose it? No. Could the "Keystone Kops" have spotted the idiots? Eehhh --- mebbe, mebbe not. Was it "good" police work, the kind of thing people are paid to do? Yeah. Is it outside the bounds of "habeas corpus?" Depends on how good their lawyers are. Should they be strung up? Yup. Will they be? Nope.

Ronnin said:
Where do we draw the line though?
Many people believe the government should choose where to draw that line, the desire to feel safe often outweighs the motivation to ponder such details which can easily lead to feeling less safe.

I have no problems with the concept of surveillance, but I do have problems with surveillance by one branch without proper oversight by either of the other two (or both in some cases). It has been shown in our own history time and again that one branch, unchecked and in the hands of a few paranoid few, can create an atmosphere of fear to rival the fear that can be created by terrorists.

NateTG said:
P.S.

Are you forgetting that they don't need to blow everyone up, only bring down the plane. Now a drinks bottle or 3 is enought to do that for sure, or they wouldn't be bothering with all the extra checks.

Increased surveillance is good provided its done properly and respectfully, and the information is delt with carefully and securley.

daveb said:
I have no problems with the concept of surveillance, but I do have problems with surveillance by one branch without proper oversight by either of the other two (or both in some cases). It has been shown in our own history time and again that one branch, unchecked and in the hands of a few paranoid few, can create an atmosphere of fear to rival the fear that can be created by terrorists.

When was that time?

How about the McCarthy era for one?

russ_watters said:

And as long as none of the data is left on a laptop that is stolen? http://idtheft.about.com/od/2006/p/Veterans.htm

As long as government officials don't decide all of your personal info dating back to 1978 should be public knowledge? http://idtheft.about.com/od/2006/p/Broward_County.htm (Then again, this is the same Broward County of Recount 2000 fame. Perk up, those people's personal info will only be available until sometime in 2007, so if you want to steal their info for identity theft, better hurry!)

As long as your legal media doesn't take 'freedom of the press' too far? http://idtheft.about.com/od/2006/p/Boston_Globe.htm (tacky joke :frown: - it was the same kind of mistake any business could have made).

As long as your college's computer isn't hacked? http://idtheft.about.com/od/2006/p/OU_Breach.htm (fifth data breach reported by OU since April 21 of this year - although the real reason is OU taking a closer look since their first data breach).

Then again, why hack when your college could just e-mail out your personal data? http://www.privacyrights.org/ar/ChronDataBreaches.htm (Scroll down to Dec 15, 2005. An employee was supposed to e-mail out Winter class schedules to past students in an attempt to entice them to reattend. Instead, the employee e-mailed out the personal data of individuals enrolled for Winter classes. Suddenly, your private personal info is nothing more than spam to annoy people with! :rofl: )

Hmm, :uhh: , you might have a point at that. Is there anyone left whose personal info hasn't already been released to the public, whether that public be law enforcement, tax enforcement, or identity thieves?

NateTG said:

I wouldn't pretend to be an expert on the laws about surveillance in the UK, but I think they're a little bit less restrictive than the laws in the US. They've compromised their right to privacy to better combat the IRA.

The author was suggesting the US should do likewise in order to better combat terrorism.

Evo said:
[The assertion, US government surveilance restrictions and oversight should be decreased because British intelligence services were able to foil a terrorist plot.] wasn't in the article I posted. My article said it was a joint effort of British, Pakistani and US.

The linked article is an editorial in the Washington Post, which is a paper concerned with US government policy, and the editorial is not about the necessity of Surveilance work per se, but about the necessity of "uncompromised" surveilance programs.

Here are some passages from the article which suggest the view that terrorism surveilance should not be impinged by such niceties as civil liberties, policy discussion, or investigative journalism.

Can we all agree now on the necessity of uncompromised terrorist surveillance programs?
We shudder to think what would have happened in the coming days had the New York Times gotten hold of British or American airline antiterrorism investigations prior to yesterday's arrests.
But even if it isn't the type of program which Democrats and civil-libertarian maximalists so fashionably decry lately, it shows why those programs continue to be so necessary.

Evo said:
Again, [the call for extra surveilance programs] wasn't in the article I posted, it suggests that what happened is a good reason to continue the current programs. Please post a link to the article you are referring to.

Consider, for example, this passage from the editorial:
Is this a "terrorist surveillance program"? Possibly, possibly not. But even if it isn't the type of program which Democrats and civil-libertarian maximalists so fashionably decry lately, it shows why those programs continue to be so necessary.

The 'those' refers to "the type of program(s) which Democrads and civil-libertarian maximalists so fashionably decry". Thus this article is arguing for surveilance powers or programs beyond those that were used to foil this plot.

I have no problem with surveillance as long as it is done legally and according to the law. The intelligence, domestic and foreign, are doing their jobs.

What I have a problem with is when someone like the president (or any individual in government) uses government resources, e.g. FBI or NSA, to spy on people, US citizens or others, who are not involved in criminal or suspicious activity. McCarthy was an extreme example, and his un-American activities damaged or destroyed countless innocent people. Then remember Nixon's Whitehouse enemies list - Nixon used the FBI to spy on 'innocent' people who simply openly criticized his policies.

NateTG said:
The text of quotation in my post and the last sentence of the first paragraph of the referenced article are identical.
You are correct, I was looking at an almost identical sentence in another paragraph, due to the order you were responding to the artice, I thought this was what you were referencing. I didn't realize you were jumping around and had returned to the first paragarah. I will remove my statement.

BobG said:
I wouldn't pretend to be an expert on the laws about surveillance in the UK, but I think they're a little bit less restrictive than the laws in the US. They've compromised their right to privacy to better combat the IRA.

The author was suggesting the US should do likewise in order to better combat terrorism.

Oh, I'm sorry, I got so confused by the horrific plot and the thousands of immolated men, women, and children. Won't anybody think of the children?

Actually, the editorial's position somewhat different than what you describe:
[Terrorism Surveilance Programs] don't threaten our civil liberties: they save our lives

It seems that the author here is willfully and deliberately denying that there is any cost in terms of civil liberties and privacy.

NateTG said:
The linked article is an editorial in the Washington Post, which is a paper concerned with US government policy, and the editorial is not about the necessity of Surveilance work per se, but about the necessity of "uncompromised" surveilance programs.
I tend to agree that the success of these surveillance programs are that they are not "compromised". Do you think it's a good thing if some greedy journalist decides to risk lives and national security just so he can get a "scoop". I don't.

Thus this article is arguing for surveilance powers or programs beyond those that were used to foil this plot.
Since no details have yet come out, we cannot say to what level the investigation was counducted. Luckily it did not get leaked, and therefor was not "compromised". So you cannot make the statement you did until you have facts.

Last edited:
Evo said:

Not only is that the wrong question, the answer is obvious. Of course we need surveillance. What has been at stake is the system of checks and balances in which we have proper oversight. Never has anyone credible ever argued that we don't need government spy programs, but many of us object on the most basic principles of a constitutional government to this country being run as if this is Stalinist Russia.

How far can we go; random strip searches on the street?

Also, what tipped off the Brits was a citizen - a Muslim - who was suspicious, so your point is rather moot in either case.

Last edited:
A paid police informant who calls himself "an observant Muslim" infiltrated a group of men and youths arrested last month and charged with plotting to carry out bomb attacks and kidnappings around southern Ontario, CBC News has learned.
http://www.cbc.ca/story/canada/national/2006/07/13/terror--plot.html

They were invaluable just two months ago in Canada, when successful surveillance of Islamist Internet sites led Canadian intelligence to thwart a major terrorist attack in and around Toronto.
From link in OP.

CNN just announced as Ivan mentioned above that this latest plot was discovered when a member of the Muslim community notified authorties.

So much for our $5 billion per year high tech all encompassing, watching your grandmothers bank account and phone records folly.

Ivan Seeking said:
Not only is that the wrong question, the answer is obvious. Of course we need surveillance. What has been at stake is the system of checks and balances in which we have proper oversight. Never has anyone credible ever argued that we don't need government spy programs, but many of us object on the most basic principles of a constitutional government to this country being run as if this is Stalinist Russia.

Where's the harm in cutting out dozens of Congressional staffers and a handful of judges while streamlining the process?

Ivan Seeking said:
Also, what tipped off the Brits was a citizen - a Muslim - who was suspicious, so your point is rather moot in either case.
If you're referring to the group they arrested a couple of weeks ago, they gave the investigators more information, so my point stands.

"Five Pakistanis have also been arrested in Pakistan as suspected "facilitators" of the plot, a government official said, in addition to two Britons arrested there about a week ago.

Agents in Pakistan arrested at least seven people, including two British nationals of Pakistani origin who provided information on the terror plot,"

"The raids in Britain on Thursday followed a months-long investigation, but U.S. intelligence officials said authorities moved quickly after learning the plotters hoped to stage a practice run within two days, with the actual attack expected just days after that. "

http://www.canada.com/topics/news/world/story.html?id=baf60282-8a48-4691-ad54-e5ab4dcaf36f&k=25138

Ivan Seeking said:
What has been at stake is the system of checks and balances in which we have proper oversight.
But that's never what the objections are. As far as I've seen, they usually (always?) look like "Oh my gosh, the government wants to collect information! 1984! Big Brother! Shut it down!". (or Stalinist Russia, as the case may be. :wink:)

pcorbett said:
Where's the harm in cutting out dozens of Congressional staffers and a handful of judges while streamlining the process?
Nobody here at PF has suggested placing "dozens of Congressional staffers and a handful of judges". What people here expect is that 'proper' oversight be in place - be it one judge, or three judges, or some members of Congress ( 2 Senators and 2 Congress (HR) members), which is basically an exercise of Constitutional Checks and Balances, i.e. Due Process.

From the BBC
Security chiefs said the group believed to be planning the attack had been under surveillance for some time.
Police probe flights terror plot
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/4780815.stm

Neighbours' shock at terror raids
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/4779539.stm

Police and ministers' statements
The full text of statements by the Peter Clark, head of Scotland Yard's anti-terrorist branch, Home Secretary John Reid and Transport Secretary Douglas Alexander about the alleged terror plot disrupted by police.

from http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/politics/4778817.stm
Lots of links in the Wikipedia article -
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2006_transatlantic_aircraft_plot

The Home Office has refused to confirm reports that Thursday's anti-terror operation in the UK was triggered by the interception of a decoded message sent by a suspect in Pakistan, which gave the go-ahead for the attack to take place.

from http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/4783141.stm

Some level of surveillance is needed, but it must be legal, i.e. according to the law. The administration, which is responsible for domestic and foreign surveillance, has repeatedly shown its contempt for the law. Even the Supreme Court has found the administration in violation of the law.

Hurkyl said:
But that's never what the objections are.

People complaining about warrantless wiretaps are complaining about lack of checks and balances.

People complaining about sneek and peak searches are complaining about lack of checks and balances.

People complaining about detention without access to council or courts are complaining about lack of checks and balances.

There are other things that this administration is doing that are out of line, but there is no shortage of the erosion of checks and balances, nor a derth of complaints about it.

Ever hear of "sealed records?" Courts do all sorts of things that are never part of the public record --- the journalistic conceit that everything can be made public is just that, a conceit. Find the sex offenders living in your neighborhood, the fraud judgments against real estate developers, and a thousand other "little" embarassments that judges support their "humble" $40k houses on 40 acre lots with.

edward said:
CNN just announced as Ivan mentioned above that this latest plot was discovered when a member of the Muslim community notified authorties.

So much for our $5 billion per year high tech all encompassing, watching your grandmothers bank account and phone records folly.

Come on, surely you know this is highly oversimplifying the situation.

Do you really think that if that 5G$ budget disappeared tomorrow we'd still have the same success rate?

DaveC426913 said:
Come on, surely you know this is highly oversimplifying the situation.

Do you really think that if that 5G$ budget disappeared tomorrow we'd still have the same success rate?

Make that a $5 billion budget.

Neither the Canadian or the recent British apprehension of terrorists have been related to the
massive NSA surveillance programs. They have been accomplished by foreign security police, using for the most part tips from ordinary people and an old fashioned feet on the ground approach. The British had been following this latest group since last December.

There were FBI agents who wanted to use the the tried and true methods prior to 911. Agent Williams in Phoenix and the agent tailing Moussaoui are good examples. They were ignored. So now we just throw money at the problem and presume it will work, because that is what the software companies selling to the NSA promise.

Also to a great extent the NSA operations are outsourced to private contractors. This greatly increases the possibility that information on ordinary citizens may end up in the wrong hands via data theft or incompetence.

To win the war on terrorism we have to regain the basic intelligence skills that we possesed during the cold war, and not rely on the extraordinarily expensive methods that we are currently using.