1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Surveying update

1. Dec 14, 2004 #1
    A while back I was saying that I didn't like the way I had been asked to layout a new road being built. I thought that they were making it too difficult on themselves. I staked it out how they wanted it (they wanted it to blend into the desert in a pretty way) all 6 miles of it (3miles on each side of the road) Then today as I was laying the last 2 points, I said the LAST 2, I was informed that they think that they are going to put curb and gutter along the edges instead of their original plan, because it will be easier.
    Next time I feel like I don't know what I'm doing please remind me to go with my first instincts.

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 15, 2004 #2

russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

Heh - welcome to engineering. You are always at the mercy of what "they" want and "they" aren't always thinking clearly. It sucks, I know. At my company, we have a job right now where we are being paid extra to fix mistakes we knew we made in a system we designed. Why? Because "they" insisted the system be designed that way.

[dramatization]
    They: Do it this way.
    We: It won't work that way.
    They: Do it anyway.
    We: Ok, fine - we warned you.
    [...six months later...]
    They: It doesn't work.
    We: We know - we told you six months ago it wouldn't.
    They: No you didn't - fix it!
    We: Yes we did - here it is in writing.
    They: Oh...please fix it?
    We: Certainly - that'll be $10,000.

So the real question is - can you profit from their tenacious stupidity?

Last edited: Dec 15, 2004
  4. Dec 15, 2004 #3

Clausius2

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

:rofl: :rofl:

And the worst thing is that "they" surely take home more money than you.

5. Dec 15, 2004 #4
    it actually works out easier for me this way, and even with what I've already done it will be less work for me than if they didn't change. I just wish I hadn't already staked so much for nothing

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook