Suse Linux

• Thread starter physicsCU
  • Start date
ranger
Gold Member
At what point does it hang on the black screen? Can you even see if it loads anything? Such as IDE, Network, etc. Does it look as if the screen is about to refresh, but instead of showing a GUI, it goes blank? What kind of graphics card do you have? Is it an an board card?

ranger said:
At what point does it hang on the black screen? Can you even see if it loads anything? Such as IDE, Network, etc. Does it look as if the screen is about to refresh, but instead of showing a GUI, it goes blank? What kind of graphics card do you have? Is it an an board card?

It runs about 8-ish lines of some code real fast, then blanks. So its pretty quick. I couldn't even tell you what they say it goes so fast. Its not even close to bringing up a GUI.

Like I said, I have an ATi Mobility Radeon 9000 IGP. Its integrated into the laptop mobo.

And where do I get APM/ACPI stuff so that I can hibernate/stand by? I read something somewhere about changing the powersave config file to do it. Think that'll work?

ranger
Gold Member
Ah yes, now that you mention APM, I think I know whats going on. When your kernel tries to load APM it locks up. Thats why I think that you have to boot in failsafe.

I did some searching and found this

power save package. They tell you how to edit the config files.

I understood the second document, but not the first.

I found some other things to try first, I will do those, and then get back here.

OK, by typing apm=off acpi=off at GRUB, she boots correctly now.

I still need to edit APM/ACPI though

when i go into the power control area, it says stuff about apm kernel drivers.

will that second document help me?

ranger
Gold Member
when i go into the power control area, it says stuff about apm kernel drivers.

What stuff? Your kernel probably may not have been compiled with apm support.

OK, so how do i fix that?

ranger
Gold Member
Okay before we go ahead and recompile the kernel I need to know what errors you got in the control area.

My knowledge is fairly limited when it comes to recompiling a new kernel. But read this.

ranger
Gold Member
I also found this.
http://gentoo-wiki.com/HOWTO_Getting_APM_Suspend_to_Work [Broken]

Its for gentoo though, but the basic theory is the same.

NOTE: The emerge command is gentoo specific.

Last edited by a moderator:
I will take a look at that.

Its difficult since I don't have wireless working on that computer at this time (I know how to do that, just wanted to get some other stuff working first). Once I get that up and going, I will post the exact error message.

Can anyone say where will we get the keystrokes. Because we planned to instal Suse and the instal disc contains help files but not keystrokes

dduardo
Staff Emeritus
What keystrokes are you talking about?

I would like to get the volume control keys to work and sleep/hibernate.