1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Suspended ball

1. Oct 3, 2005 #1
    A mass m= 9.3 kg is suspended from a sting of length L=1.57 m. It revolves in horizontal circle. The tangential speed of the mass is 3.14 m/s. What is the angle theta between the string and the vertical in degrees?

I started off by using the equations Lsin theta= mv^2/ r and Lcos theta=mg
    Solving the second one for L and plugging into the first gave me mgsin theta/ cos theta= mv^2/r. I then plugged in my numbers to get 91.14 sin theta/ cos theta = 116.8. Since sin/cos= tan, I simplified to get 91.14 tan theta= 116.8, using inverse tan to get an answer of 52 deg. This wasn't right... can someone help me?

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 3, 2005 #2

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

First, I think you mean T (as in the tension of the string) when you wrote L.

Second, it looks like you decided that r=L/2; what made you decide that? r is the distance between the mass and the axis it rotates about. Look at the geometry again to find r as a function of θ.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?