Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Suspension link loads

1. Apr 20, 2010 #1
    Hello, I have set-up a spreadsheet to analyze the loads in suspension members for a double wishbone suspension with a push-rod.
    It solves simulataneous equations generated by summing forces and taking moments.
    Would someone mind talking a look at the spreadsheet with the aim of checking it's done correctly please.

The spreadsheet will eventually do a lot of things for suspension design and concept work, it currently also does a torsion bar analysis so you can spec the torsion bar for a desired spring rate.

I would really like to look at how the suspension moves through ride-height and things like the camber change with ride, within the spreadsheet but I don't have the time to look in to setting this up. I read a book a while ago which was very good at showing how to do this but it's a lot of work "Multibody Systems Approach to Vehicle Dynamics". For suspension kinematic movement, I use both CATIA and MSc Adams.

The work won't be a complete detailed analysis but more or a quick way of looking quickly at the consequences of a given change in the geometry, such as moving a pick-up point.

Thanks a lot for your time. I can send the spreadsheet to anyone who is willing to take a look at the work.
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 21, 2010 #2
    Hello, I have attached the excel workbook if anyone would like to pass any comments or check the work.

I have only just started it and it's not particularly high on my priority list at the moment, eventually it will work out composite and lay-up requirements for making the wishbones as well as a lot of other things.

The data and suspension geo are completely random at the moment, see how it works for your-own things if you like.

Attached Files:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook