How Does Car Suspension Impact Vehicle Dynamics Over Humps?

• Thread starter konichiwa3x
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Suspension
In summary: And what about if the suspension is functioning normally?Please tell me the answers to these questions.In summary, the suspension system of a car consists of a spring under compression combined with a shock absorber which damps the vertical oscillations of the car. When the driver steps into the car, the vertical height of the car above the road decreases. If the car is driven over a series of equally spaced humps, the amplitude of the vibration becomes much larger at one particular speed due to resonance. To calculate the separation of the humps at this speed, the frequency formula (T = 2π√(m/k)) can be used, with the mass of the man and car combined. The shape of the graph for a
konichiwa3x
In practice, the suspension system of a car consists of a spring under compression
combined with a shock absorber which damps the vertical oscillations of the car. Draw sketch graphs, one in each case, to illustrate how the vertical height of the car above the road will vary with time after the car has just passed over a hump if the shock absorber is:
(i) not functioning.
(ii) operating normally.

When the driver of mass 80 kg, steps into the car of mass 920 kg, the vertical height of the car above the road decreases by 2.0 cm. If the car is driven over a series of equally spaced humps, the amplitude of the vibration becomes much larger at one particular speed.
(i) Explain why this occurs. ( I understand that this happens due to resonance)
(ii) Calculate the separation of the humps if it occurs at a speed of 15 ms-1.

Please tell me the answers to these questions.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF!

Hi konichiwa3x! Welcome to PF! :smile:

Show us what you've tried, and how far you've got … then we'll know how to help you! :smile:

hi, thanks for replying.
Well for the first part, I am not at all sure. This type of question is very new to me. Can you provide me a link where I can read up on it?

For the second part, (i) I understand that the amplitude of vibration becomes very large when the frequency of oscillation matches with the natural frequency (resonance).
(ii) I have calculated the spring constant and it comes out to be [tex]3.92[/tex]x [tex]10^4[/tex]. How do I proceed?

Last edited:
konichiwa3x said:
I have calculated the spring constant and it comes out to be [tex]3.92[/tex]x [tex]10^4[/tex]. How do I proceed?

In other words: how do you find the frequency?

Well, you know that the acceleration of the end of a spring is minus the spring constant times the length of the spring.

So it's a harmonic (quadratic) equation, d^2x/dt^2 = -µx.

And the solution to that is … ? :smile

[tex]$ 15 = (distance \quad between \quad humps)/T [/tex]

where T is the time period of oscillation.

[tex]$ T = 2\pi/\omega= 2\pi \sqrt{\frac{m}{k}} [/tex]

where 'm' is the mass of the man? (or is it the mass of man+car) Please explain.

And what about the first part of the question regarding the graphs?
Thanks for your time.

Last edited:
Please reply.

konichiwa3x said:
[tex]$ 15 = (distance \quad between \quad humps)/T [/tex]

where T is the time period of oscillation.

[tex]$ T = 2\pi/\omega= 2\pi \sqrt{\frac{m}{k}} [/tex]

where 'm' is the mass of the man? (or is it the mass of man+car) Please explain.

Hi konichiwa3x! :smile:

Sorry to take so long. :redface:

ok … you know the actual formula, so you don't need the quadratic equation … that saves time! :smile:

If your calculation of the spring constant is correct (and you haven't shown us, so I can't check it), then you must use the mass of man+car, because that's what the suspension is having to put up with! :smile:
And what about the first part of the question regarding the graphs?

"sketch graph" means that you don't need to put in any values … the examiner only wants to see the rough shape of the graph (eg, is it a line, a parabola, a sine curve, a V-shape, …).

So just say in words what the shape is … and then draw it! :smile:

To start you off … in words, what happens to the height of the car if there is no suspension (ie suspension not functioning)?

1. What is a suspension system?

A suspension system is a collection of parts that work together to support the weight of a vehicle and its cargo, and to absorb shocks from the road surface. It is designed to provide a smooth and comfortable ride while also maintaining control and stability of the vehicle.

2. What is damping?

Damping is the process of reducing the oscillations or vibrations of a suspension system. It involves the use of shock absorbers or dampers, which are designed to absorb and dissipate the energy from bumps and impacts on the road, resulting in a smoother ride.

3. How does a suspension system affect the handling of a vehicle?

A suspension system plays a crucial role in the handling of a vehicle. It helps to keep the tires in contact with the road at all times, providing better traction and control. It also helps to distribute the weight of the vehicle evenly, making it more stable and easier to steer.

4. What are the different types of suspension systems?

There are several types of suspension systems, including independent front suspension, independent rear suspension, and solid axle suspension. Each type has its own advantages and disadvantages, and different vehicles may use different types of suspension systems depending on their intended use and design.

5. How can I tell if my suspension system needs to be replaced?

There are a few signs that may indicate that your suspension system needs to be replaced. These include a bumpy or uncomfortable ride, uneven tire wear, difficulty steering, and excessive bouncing or swaying of the vehicle. If you experience any of these issues, it is best to have a professional mechanic inspect your suspension system to determine if it needs to be replaced.