Susskind lectures at Stanford

• I
  • Thread starter hyksos
  • Start date

Summary:

New Revolutions in Particle Physics: Standard Model

Main Question or Discussion Point

Susskind eventually curated his Stanford lectures onto a website called the theoretical minimum.

Code:
https://theoreticalminimum.com/
But the website has sort of fallen into disrepair. Years ago I remembered watching one of his 13-part lecture series on "Quantum Field Theory". The title of the videos has bounced around several times. I remembered that it was "The ones where he was wearing a black turtleneck." His website falling into disrepair is unfortunate in that it does not link to this particular lecture series... it is possible that it never linked to them.

While Susskind has made dozens of lectures series, this particular batch are the best science lectures found on the entire internet. After several years this has become more apparent. What is better is that they free to watch by anyone.These lectures are a rare diamond on the internet, and don't deserve to be tossed into a bucket with guys from India working out circuit diagrams ( most of the curated content here). I recommend that you sit through all these at least once in your life. They have now been bundled up in a playlist with "Quantum Entanglements".

Code:
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLv-NF2b3M4UJ60zXFyuLLA-jzBtqeA9Vr

Answers and Replies

Yes, the lectures are wonderful, but the titles and the archiving is a mess.

I find the best way is to find playlists on Youtube, or to use ItunesU. Even then, the titles get mangled, and some of the courses are repeated twice. To maintain consistency you should view only the 2008 or the 2013 pass.

It is easy for someone to do the work to sort out the videos, label them properly and post a page. But like anything else, information changes, and without maintenance the best quality information becomes outdated.

By the way, there are several books compiled from those courses. But even with the books there is title confusion. I orderered "Classical Mechanics The Theoretical Minimum" and "The Theoretical Minimum What You Need to Know to Start Doing Physics" Alas, they are the same book! Apparently, the title changed in the 2nd edition. I've never seen that happen on a book before.