What happened to Susskind's Quantum Field Theory lectures at Stanford?

In summary, Susskind's website, the theoretical minimum, has fallen into disrepair. The lectures are a rare diamond on the internet, and deserve to be maintained and sorted properly. There are several books compiled from the courses, but the titles are confusing.
hyksos
TL;DR Summary
New Revolutions in Particle Physics: Standard Model
Susskind eventually curated his Stanford lectures onto a website called the theoretical minimum.

Code:
https://theoreticalminimum.com/

But the website has sort of fallen into disrepair. Years ago I remembered watching one of his 13-part lecture series on "Quantum Field Theory". The title of the videos has bounced around several times. I remembered that it was "The ones where he was wearing a black turtleneck." His website falling into disrepair is unfortunate in that it does not link to this particular lecture series... it is possible that it never linked to them.

While Susskind has made dozens of lectures series, this particular batch are the best science lectures found on the entire internet. After several years this has become more apparent. What is better is that they free to watch by anyone.These lectures are a rare diamond on the internet, and don't deserve to be tossed into a bucket with guys from India working out circuit diagrams ( most of the curated content here). I recommend that you sit through all these at least once in your life. They have now been bundled up in a playlist with "Quantum Entanglements".

Code:
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLv-NF2b3M4UJ60zXFyuLLA-jzBtqeA9Vr

Likes vanhees71 and eys_physics
Physics news on Phys.org
Yes, the lectures are wonderful, but the titles and the archiving is a mess.

I find the best way is to find playlists on Youtube, or to use ItunesU. Even then, the titles get mangled, and some of the courses are repeated twice. To maintain consistency you should view only the 2008 or the 2013 pass.

It is easy for someone to do the work to sort out the videos, label them properly and post a page. But like anything else, information changes, and without maintenance the best quality information becomes outdated.

By the way, there are several books compiled from those courses. But even with the books there is title confusion. I orderered "Classical Mechanics The Theoretical Minimum" and "The Theoretical Minimum What You Need to Know to Start Doing Physics" Alas, they are the same book! Apparently, the title changed in the 2nd edition. I've never seen that happen on a book before.

1. What is the purpose of Susskind lectures at Stanford?

The Susskind lectures at Stanford are designed to provide students and the general public with a deeper understanding of various scientific topics, particularly in the fields of physics and cosmology.

2. Who is Leonard Susskind and why is he giving these lectures?

Leonard Susskind is a renowned physicist and professor at Stanford University. He is known for his contributions to string theory and his popular science books. He gives these lectures in order to share his knowledge and passion for science with others.

3. Are these lectures open to the public?

Yes, the Susskind lectures at Stanford are open to the public. They are typically held on the Stanford campus and can also be viewed online through various platforms such as YouTube.

4. What topics are covered in the Susskind lectures?

The topics covered in the Susskind lectures vary, but they often include discussions on quantum mechanics, black holes, cosmology, and other cutting-edge scientific theories and discoveries.

5. Can anyone attend these lectures or do you need a background in science?

Anyone can attend the Susskind lectures at Stanford, regardless of their level of scientific knowledge. While some topics may be more complex and require some prior understanding, the lectures are designed to be accessible to a general audience.