1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

SUVAT and a Constant

1. Jul 23, 2017 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A vehicle Accelerates from rest (a) and travels a certain distance s1 It then deccelerates (a) at a constant rate and travels a second distance s2 until it stops. If s2/s1 = K then what is the accleration (a) of the vehicle.

2. Relevant equations
    v=u+at
    s=ut+1/2at^2
    s=vt-1/2at^2
    v^2=u^2 + 2as
    s=(u+v)t/2

3. The attempt at a solution
    I used v^2=u^2 + 2as to describe the two parts of the journey but I ended up at a completely incorrect answer.

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 23, 2017 #2
    There is a problem her, You have a for both the accelaration and the deceleration, but if they are the same, you would need s1=s2, and the acceleration is can still be anything. Are you sure this is correct?

4. Jul 23, 2017 #3
    Sorry, you are actually supposed to make an expression for K using a as the link between the two parts of the journey.:oldlaugh:

5. Jul 23, 2017 #4
    There still seems to be missing something. Are the times of the acceleration and deceleration equal?

6. Jul 23, 2017 #5

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

The question does not make sense as it stands. I suggest that there are two different magnitudes of acceleration, and you are supposed to find one of them in terms of K and the other acceleration.

7. Jul 24, 2017 #6
    You are supposed to find an expression by describing the two parts of the journey using suvat equations in terms of K the constant, the link IS a which is why they are the same, I tried using the suvat equation v^2=u^2+2as as there is no time in the equation it is just the linking and final conclusions that I struggled with.
    PLEASE HELP

8. Jul 24, 2017 #7
    You are supposed to find an expression by describing the two parts of the journey using suvat equations in terms of K the constant, the link IS a which is why they are the same, I tried using the suvat equation v^2=u^2+2as as there is no time in the equation it is just the linking and final conclusions that I struggled with.
    PLEASE HELP

9. Jul 24, 2017 #8

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

As others have pointed out, the magnitudes of the acceleration and deceleration cannot be the same except for the trivial case where s1 = s2.

So did you mean to write "a" for both accelerations?

10. Jul 24, 2017 #9

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Suppose, for example, that K=1. If it accelerates at a for distance s1=s it reaches speed v where v2=2as. If it now decelerates at a for s2=s it will come to a stop. Thus, we have met the conditions, yet a is anything at all.
    Are you quite sure you have written out the question exactly as given to you, down to the last dot and comma?

11. Jul 29, 2017 #10
    Thanks guys I solved it and as haruspex clearly pointed out I did not read the question carefully neither did I type it out correctly I am seriously sorry but I appreciate the help all the same, I just ran out of wifi for a while.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted