1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

SUVAT for vectos

1. May 17, 2008 #1
    When quoting the suvat equations for vectors, are they exactly the same as the normal ones, apart from the fact that the letters (apart from t) have "lines" underneath them?

Thanks

2. jcsd
  3. May 17, 2008 #2

Chi Meson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

the "suvat" equations ARE vector equations. The "s" is specifically the displacement vector; u and v are velocity vectors; a is the acceleration vector. Usually you learn to use suvat in "unilinear" motion which is one dimensional. When doing so, the mathematics is the same as simple algebra. If you are working in two or three dimensions, then your operations for adding and multiplying vectors gets a bit more complicated.

Instead of v=35m/s, for example, you get v=35î +23ˆj +12ˆk m/s, etc.

So the equations themselves are the same. You can indicate vectors with the "harpoon" over the letter, or "blackboard bold" (my favorite) or any other conventional vector indication, but usually "suva" are all assumed to be vectors. I wouldn't worry about it in homework, or quick calculations, but in any report or other typed format, I'd at least indicate all vector varibles in bold type.

Last edited: May 17, 2008
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?