Calculating the Minimum Ramp Length for a Fairground Ride

• Thread starter aguycalledwil
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Suvat
In summary, the conversation discusses a fairground ride and the minimum length of a ramp for a car to stop before reaching the end. There are two different methods used to calculate the length, but one method seems to have a flaw due to a negative acceleration value. The other method gives a length of approximately 33 meters.
aguycalledwil
A fairground ride ends with the car moving up a ramp at a slope of 30 degrees. Given that the deceleration of the car is 4.905 m/s, and that the car enters the bottom of the ramp at 18 m/s, calculate the minimum length of the ramp for the car to stop before it reaches the end.

It seems if I take different methods I get two different answers, one a factor of three out from the other.

If I try to first work out the time taken, I do as follows..

V=u+at, so 0=18+(-4.905t), so t=3.669724771

S=ut+1/2at^2, so s=18x3.66..+1/2*4.905*3.66..^2

So s = 99.08256881

BUT if I use..
v^2 = u^2 + 2as
I get as follows..

0^2 = 18^2 + 2*4.905*s
So s = 33.02752294

Obviously one of these methods must have a flaw somewhere, but I can't for the life of me figure out where! Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
aguycalledwil said:
If I try to first work out the time taken, I do as follows..

V=u+at, so 0=18+(-4.905t), so t=3.669724771

S=ut+1/2at^2, so s=18x3.66..+1/2*4.905*3.66..^2

a is negative. Replace + by minus.

ehild

Ah of course! Thanks so much, that really helps.

What is the "SUVAT fairground ride problem"?

The "SUVAT fairground ride problem" is a physics problem that involves calculating the motion of an object (represented by a car or person) on a horizontal ride at a fairground. It is named after the variables used in the calculation: S (distance), U (initial velocity), V (final velocity), A (acceleration), and T (time).

What is the formula for solving the "SUVAT fairground ride problem"?

The formula for solving the "SUVAT fairground ride problem" is S = ut + ½at^2, where S is the distance traveled, u is the initial velocity, a is the acceleration, and t is the time.

How do you determine the direction of motion in the "SUVAT fairground ride problem"?

In the "SUVAT fairground ride problem", the direction of motion can be determined by considering the signs of the initial velocity (u) and acceleration (a). If both are positive, the object is moving in the same direction as the initial velocity. If u is positive and a is negative, the object is slowing down. If u is negative and a is positive, the object is speeding up. If both u and a are negative, the object is moving in the opposite direction of the initial velocity.

What are the units for each variable in the "SUVAT fairground ride problem"?

The units for each variable in the "SUVAT fairground ride problem" are as follows: S (meters), U (meters per second), V (meters per second), A (meters per second squared), and T (seconds).

How can the "SUVAT fairground ride problem" be applied in real life?

The "SUVAT fairground ride problem" can be applied in real life situations, such as calculating the motion of a car on a horizontal road, determining the speed and distance of a rollercoaster, or predicting the trajectory of a projectile. It can also be used to analyze the motion of athletes in sports, such as running or jumping.