Solving SUVAT Questions: Find Time for a Ball's Descent

In summary, the conversation is about practicing SUVAT style questions for revision and finding the time it takes for a ball to hit the ground when catapulted vertically at 10m/s. The person used the equation v=u+at and got a time of 1.02s, but it was incorrect. The question is whether the calculation was done for the entire motion and if it should be split into two parts. The other person suggests doubling the time or using the equation d = Vo*t + .5 * a * t^2 with the given values.
jendrix
Hi, I'm just practicing some SUVAT style questions as part of my revision and have a quick question.

Here's an example, a ball is catapulted vertically upwards at 10m/s, find the time it takes to hit the ground.(Discount air resistance)

I used S =0 U=10 m/s V=? A=-9.8 T=?

Using v =u +at gave me a time of 1.02s however this is wrong.

Is this because I've done this as one motion? Should I split it into to, ie find highest position then journey back down?

Thanks

Just to reiterate this isn't a homework question.

Physics news on Phys.org
The ball goes up and the ball returns to the ground. So double the time it takes to attain a velocity of 10 m/sec if dropped.

Or solve the following:

d = Vo*t + .5 * a * t^2

where d=0.0, Vo=10. m/sec, and a = -9.81 m/sec^2

jendrix said:
I used S =0 U=10 m/s V=? A=-9.8 T=?

Using v =u +at gave me a time of 1.02s however this is wrong.

What is value of V?

1. How do I solve a SUVAT problem to find the time for a ball's descent?

To solve a SUVAT problem, you will need to use the formula t = √(2h/g), where t is the time, h is the height of the ball's descent, and g is the acceleration due to gravity (9.8 m/s²). You will also need to determine the appropriate units for each variable and plug in the values to solve for t.

2. What is the significance of the SUVAT equations in solving these types of problems?

The SUVAT equations are a set of equations that describe the motion of an object under constant acceleration. They are useful in solving problems involving a ball's descent because they allow us to find the values of different variables (such as time, velocity, and acceleration) using known values and equations.

3. Can I use the SUVAT equations to solve problems for objects in free fall?

Yes, the SUVAT equations can be used to solve problems for objects in free fall as long as the acceleration is constant. This is because the equations were derived from the laws of motion, which apply to all objects in motion, including objects in free fall.

4. What are the different types of SUVAT problems I may encounter when solving for time in a ball's descent?

There are three main types of SUVAT problems that involve finding the time for a ball's descent: finding the time for an object to reach a certain height, finding the time for an object to reach a certain velocity, and finding the time for an object to travel a certain distance. Each type of problem may require a different equation and approach, but they all follow the same principles of using known values and equations to solve for the unknown variable.

5. Can I use the SUVAT equations to solve problems for objects with non-constant acceleration?

No, the SUVAT equations only apply to objects with constant acceleration. If the acceleration is not constant, then more advanced equations and techniques, such as calculus, must be used to solve the problem. For objects with non-constant acceleration, the SUVAT equations can still be used for small time intervals, but the results may not be as accurate.