Suvat - Two cars approach each other on a straight road

In summary: It is at this point I fall as I still land up with two unknown variables: -s = 5t^2Where am I going wrong?In summary, both cars have stopped by the time the distance between them becomes 45m.
monkfishkev
Suvat -- Two cars approach each other on a straight road

Homework Statement

Two cars approach each other on a straight road. Car A is moving at 16m/s and car B at 8m/s. When they are 45m apart both drivers apply their brakes. Car A slows down at a rate of 2m/s^2 while car B slows down at 4m/s^2. Where and when do the cars collide?

Homework Equations

I'm assuming that this would result in a simultaneous equation given that there are two unknowns; distance (s) and time (t) (where and when).

The Attempt at a Solution

CAR A
s = s
u = 16m/s
v = x
a = -2m/s^2
t = t

s = ut + 1/2 at^2
s = 16t - t^2
Equation 1

CAR B
s = s
u = 8m/s
v = x
a = -4m/s^2
t = t

s = ut + 1/2 at^2
s = 8t - 2t^2
Equation 2

Equation 1: s = 16t - t^2
Equation 2: 2s = 16t - 4t^2

It is at this point I fall as I still land up with two unknown variables: -s = 5t^2

Where am I going wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org

Let the distance traveled by car A before collision be sA and that by car B be sB. The total distance sA + sB should be 45 (why?).

Now write sA and sB in terms of t and simplify.

Be sure to check the velocities of each car at the calculated time of collision. Why? Because you need to make sure that the result you obtain is physically meaningful in the context of the problem.

Your equations imply that both cars moving in same direction and start to slow down at same location where t=0, s=0 for both.
At t=0 they are 45m apart and opposite direction.

One of the equations is correct, say car A.
The other ,car B, should have value at t=0, s=45m.
As they approach each other, car A should have increasing distance from origin(until it starts to reverse) and car B decreasing value until it starts reversing too.

Last edited:

I think I get it now. Are the answers;
t = 3s and s = 39m

monkfishkev said:
t = 3s and s = 39m

Did you check the velocities of the two cars at this time of impact?

should they be the same?

monkfishkev said:
should they be the same?
What do you think? Hint: Are you sure that BOTH cars will still be moving at the time of collision? Is it possible for one car to come to a halt (from braking) before the other?

monkfishkev said:
t = 3s and s = 39m
http://img684.imageshack.us/img684/6497/collidingcars2.jpg
http://img36.imageshack.us/img36/5285/collidingcars.jpg

It is a piecewise function not purely parabolic function.
Both have maximum distance travelled. No reversing.
Thanks gneill, it's really tricky question.

Last edited by a moderator:
What is car B's velocity after 2s?

monkfishkev said:

Homework Statement

Two cars approach each other on a straight road. Car A is moving at 16m/s and car B at 8m/s. When they are 45m apart both drivers apply their brakes. Car A slows down at a rate of 2m/s^2 while car B slows down at 4m/s^2. Where and when do the cars collide?

Did you check to see if the cars actually collide at all.

How far will Car A have traveled by the time it stops, if Car B didn't exist.
How far will Car B travel before it stops, if Car A didn't exist.

If those two distances total less than 45m, the cars simply stop.

Which car would have stopped first?

Would that car have stopped before the other collided with it? (if there was a collision)

monkfishkev said:
Suvat -- Two cars approach each other on a straight road

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

I'm assuming that this would result in a simultaneous equation given that there are two unknowns; distance (s) and time (t) (where and when).

The Attempt at a Solution

CAR A
s = s
u = 16m/s
v = x
a = -2m/s^2
t = t

s = ut + 1/2 at^2
s = 16t - t^2
Equation 1

CAR B
s = s
u = 8m/s
v = x
a = -4m/s^2
t = t

s = ut + 1/2 at^2
s = 8t - 2t^2
Equation 2

Equation 1: s = 16t - t^2
Equation 2: 2s = 16t - 4t^2

It is at this point I fall as I still land up with two unknown variables: -s = 5t^2

Where am I going wrong?

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

3. The
See take the motion of car A first and denote distance traveled by it as sA

For Car A
u = 16
v= o
a= -2
use v=u+at and solve for t
t = 8 sec ( time taken by car A to stop)

now calculate distance traveled by car A during this time (sA)

S = ut + 1/2at^2
solve it for s
you get sA = 44

Do the same thing for car B and now sum up sA and sB you get where they will meet and sum up their times you get when they meet.

attempt at a solution

1. What is Suvat in physics?

Suvat is an acronym for the five kinematic equations used to describe the motion of an object in a straight line.

2. How do you calculate the distance between two cars approaching each other on a straight road?

The distance between two cars approaching each other on a straight road can be calculated using the equation:d = (v1 + v2)tWhere d is the distance, v1 and v2 are the velocities of the two cars, and t is the time.

3. Can Suvat equations be used for any type of motion?

No, Suvat equations are only applicable for motion in a straight line with constant acceleration. For other types of motion, different equations and principles are needed.

4. What is the difference between speed and velocity in the context of Suvat equations?

Speed is a scalar quantity that represents the rate of change of distance, while velocity is a vector quantity that represents both the speed and direction of an object's motion. In Suvat equations, speed is represented by 'v' and velocity is represented by 'u' or 'v'.

5. How can Suvat equations be used to predict the future position of two cars approaching each other on a straight road?

Suvat equations can be used to predict the future position of two cars approaching each other on a straight road by using the equations to calculate the position of each car at a specific time. By plugging in the initial velocities, time, and acceleration, we can determine the distance between the two cars at any given time and predict their future positions.