Swan song interview with Paul Dirac

In summary, there is a 20-minute interview available online that discusses various scientific concepts such as quantum mechanics, special and general relativity, and Friedrich Hund's influence on Dr. Strangelove. The interview also includes a testimonial from Dirac and touches on the motivation for the Dirac equation. There is also a mention of Hund's reference to the Zee Schrodinger-Klein-Gordon equation and the need to construct it in the first derivative. The interview is recommended to be shared with colleagues.
DiracPool
I wasn't sure what section to post this in as there's several things going on here. We got quantum mechanics, we got special and general relativity, and we got Friedrich Hund who, as far as I can tell, could be the inspiration for Dr. Strangelove...

If you want the full 20 minute interview, you can catch it here: https://av.getinfo.de/media/11186?193

it even has chromecast support so you can watch it on your Samsung 40 inch 3D TV with motion correction software (120hz) to catch Dirac's darting eyes in segment 17 when he's trying to figure out just what the HUND Hund is trying to say!

But this is pretty cool, we get a testimonial from Dirac on the motivation for the Dirac equation and the idolatry of Einstein he displays which hasn't attenuated in most physicists even till today...

I like the part at 4:20 when Hund refers to Zee Shrodinger-Klein-Gordon equation which has the time in the second derivative and that was not acceptable for you...and you needed to construct the equation in the first derivative...

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Nice, I never knew this interview existed. I'm going to send it to my friends at work.

1. What is the significance of the "Swan song interview" with Paul Dirac?

The "Swan song interview" refers to an interview conducted by the BBC with renowned physicist Paul Dirac in 1975, just a few months before his death. It is considered to be his final interview and was named after the phrase "swan song" which means a final performance or act before death.

2. What topics were discussed in the "Swan song interview"?

In the interview, Dirac discussed various topics including his childhood, education, contributions to physics, and his thoughts on the future of the field. He also shared his views on the role of mathematics in physics and his famous equation, the Dirac equation.

3. What were some of Dirac's major contributions to physics?

Dirac made numerous groundbreaking contributions to the field of physics, including the formulation of the relativistic wave equation for the electron, which led to the prediction of antimatter. He also made significant contributions to quantum mechanics, quantum electrodynamics, and quantum field theory.

4. What was Dirac's attitude towards his own work and achievements?

Dirac was known for being a reserved and modest person, and this was reflected in his attitude towards his own work and achievements. He often downplayed his contributions and preferred to let his work speak for itself rather than seeking recognition or fame.

5. How did the "Swan song interview" impact the scientific community?

The "Swan song interview" provided a unique opportunity for the scientific community to gain insights into the mind of one of the greatest physicists of the 20th century. It also shed light on Dirac's personality and his perspective on various scientific and philosophical topics, making it a valuable resource for future generations of scientists.