1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Swapping the values between two registeres in a single step (a single clock cycle)

1. Feb 10, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

I'm working on a project for my elec class. I have to build a calculator with many functions (such as add, subtract...) and one of the functions is called a SWAP. Basically, I have two registers: RS and R0. Each register holds a 4-bit value (for example, RS could be 0011 and R0 could be 1010). I need to be able to push a button that triggers a clock cycle for the whole calculator, and the four-bit value in RS would be swapped with the four-bit value in R0.

2. The attempt at a solution

I've realized since starting this that it is harder than it seems. I tried using three registers (RS, R0, and a "SWAP" register to hold an intermediate value) but that seems to require TWO clock cycles to complete a swap after the first time. How can I do it with a single push of the button rather than two?

Thanks!

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?