Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Swarm theory

1. Jul 5, 2007 #1
    please let me know if physical methods are used in order to study the behaviour of a swarm.
  2. jcsd
  3. Jul 5, 2007 #2

Gold Member

A swarm of what? For comets, the answer is 'yes'.
    If you're refering to bugs, you should probably post this in the Biology section. I believe that swarming behaviour is species-dependent, and has nothing to do with physics in the way that we normally think of.
  4. Jul 6, 2007 #3

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

For a flock of birds or a swarm of fish, I think Boids are used to simulate the behaviour, which follows a simple set of rules.
  5. Jul 6, 2007 #4
    you could though...by integrating some fluid dynamics into the simulation of either fish or birds(boids&flocks). I believe a group at the University of toronto simulated fish though i'm not entirely sure if they used real water physics...the lead researcher went to silicon i believe.
  6. Jul 6, 2007 #5

D H

Staff: Mentor

The newest National Geographic has an interesting lay article on swarm theory, available online (free!) at http://www7.nationalgeographic.com/ngm/0707/feature5 . The article is math-free, of course.
  7. Jul 6, 2007 #6
    Thanks for your help. My problem is if researchers have tried in the case of a swarm of birds to register the emitted sount and to relate it with the changes in the configuration?
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?