Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Swarm theory

1. Jul 5, 2007 #1
    please let me know if physical methods are used in order to study the behaviour of a swarm.
    thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 5, 2007 #2

Danger

Gold Member

A swarm of what? For comets, the answer is 'yes'.
    If you're refering to bugs, you should probably post this in the Biology section. I believe that swarming behaviour is species-dependent, and has nothing to do with physics in the way that we normally think of.

4. Jul 6, 2007 #3

siddharth

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

For a flock of birds or a swarm of fish, I think Boids are used to simulate the behaviour, which follows a simple set of rules.

5. Jul 6, 2007 #4
    you could though...by integrating some fluid dynamics into the simulation of either fish or birds(boids&flocks). I believe a group at the University of toronto simulated fish though i'm not entirely sure if they used real water physics...the lead researcher went to silicon i believe.

6. Jul 6, 2007 #5

D H

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

The newest National Geographic has an interesting lay article on swarm theory, available online (free!) at http://www7.nationalgeographic.com/ngm/0707/feature5 . The article is math-free, of course.

7. Jul 6, 2007 #6
    Thanks for your help. My problem is if researchers have tried in the case of a swarm of birds to register the emitted sount and to relate it with the changes in the configuration?
    regards

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?