Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Swastika

1. Mar 25, 2005 #1
    Hey guys ! has anyone of you have Columbia jacket or shoes ? i'm sure lots of you do then take a look at the logo,don't you think it looks little bit like swastika ?

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 25, 2005 #2

brewnog

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Well, the overall shape is kinda square, ish.

You been smoking again?

4. Mar 25, 2005 #3

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Nope, looks to me like a basket weave...or would that be a fabric weave?

5. Mar 25, 2005 #4
    I just don't see it either..shrugs....

6. Mar 25, 2005 #5

I think your name explains this whole mixup perfectly.

Troll.

7. Mar 25, 2005 #6
    Actually, I've noticed it before too. It's not a big deal, they're not identical, but it did catch my eye before.

8. Mar 25, 2005 #7
    Well....it was nice to be here on PF,have to get back to real life,all the best to you people! :smile:

9. Mar 25, 2005 #8
    The Swastika was originally a Hindu symbol of some sort (I think peace), but the German Nazis totally changed how the world perceives it now.

10. Mar 26, 2005 #9

Evo

Staff: Mentor

It's a Tibetan symbol.

11. Mar 26, 2005 #10
    my fault...

12. Mar 26, 2005 #11

Danger

Gold Member

So were the Nazis dyslexic or did they put the arms on backwards on purpose?

13. Mar 26, 2005 #12
    The swastika was used by... American Indians, Hindus, Buddhists, Vikings, Greeks, Romans, Celts, Anglo-Saxons, Mayans, Aztecs, Persians, Christians, and neolithic tribes too.

14. Mar 26, 2005 #13

Evo

The traditional Buddhist version is clockwise and Bon is counter clockwise. (ok, that I had to look up :tongue: )

I'm fascinated with Tibet and want to go there. I would like to have a Tibetan sky burial.

15. Mar 26, 2005 #14
    so i was right, evo.......hmm!!! just kidding.

16. Mar 26, 2005 #15

AKG

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Tibetan? No, it's a Hindu symbol, although similar symbols were used in many cultures. "Swastika" is a Sanskrit word (the language of ancient Hindus). "Aryan" is also a Sanskrit word. Evidently, Hitler had a theme going. You can read more about the Swastika and about Aryan people at Wikipedia, as well as why Hitler was going with this theme, etc.

17. Mar 26, 2005 #16

Evo

It is very much a Tibetan Buddhist symbol. Swastika: commonly seen on home walls or on monastery floors. Meaning good fortune, it symbolizes infinity, universe and sometimes sun and moon. Buddhists draw it clockwise while bon followers draw it anticlockwise. http://www.travelchinaguide.com/cityguides/tibet/religious-symbol.htm

18. Mar 26, 2005 #17
  19. Mar 26, 2005 #18

Evo

No, I meant also Tibetan. Hypatia is correct that it's been a common symbol throughout history.

Last edited: Mar 26, 2005
  20. Mar 26, 2005 #19

Danger

Gold Member

I know that you're a romantic at heart, honey, but you're overlooking the one obvious drawback to that... it requires death! How about a nice gondola ride in Venice or something instead? :wink:

21. Mar 26, 2005 #20

Danger

Gold Member

Yeah, Hitler had himself a plan there. Blond, blue-eyed rulers of the world. A master race based upon 2 recessive genes... :uhh:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?