Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Sweden vs Trinidad & Tabago

1. Jun 10, 2006 #1
    Looks like sweden will run this match. I gotta root for T&T though!

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 10, 2006 #2
    dont write of Trinidad :) go on shaka

4. Jun 10, 2006 #3

NateTG

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Really, both of these teams are looking better than England did against Paraguay. T&T is showing great pose so far.

5. Jun 10, 2006 #4

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Holy Cow!!!

Sweden attacked reasonably well, but failed to finish. Too many times, they played long balls instead of well-built drives. I think they were getting impatient.

Trinidad was lucky to survive the first half unscathed. Second half, though, they put up a tremendous show.

Last edited: Jun 10, 2006
  6. Jun 10, 2006 #5
    Sweden played horrible.

7. Jun 10, 2006 #6
    Well done TT... good result for England...

Sure you werent watching a different game? :rofl:

8. Jun 10, 2006 #7

siddharth

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

If T&T play this way, watch out Beckham and co!
    I don't think so. Sweden played only slightly below par, but T&T were really good. I thought Hislop and Carlos Edwards in particular were fantastic.

9. Jun 10, 2006 #8
    Were we watching the same game????

Trinidad had about 30% of the ball, they werent so good, HISLOP was, he made 7 or 8 (cant remeber) saves, good saves... Sweden just played nowhere near as good as they can, and perhaps they were unlucky too...

Anyway.... Roll on tomorrow :)

10. Jun 10, 2006 #9
    Good result for CONCACAF!

11. Jun 10, 2006 #10

-Job-

Science Advisor

That Whilmhelsson is a good player.

12. Jun 10, 2006 #11

BobG

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

That was a great game by Hislop, especially being a last minute replacement (how do you injure yourself during warmups?)

That was the peak for T&T. You can't expect to get that lucky in three straight games.

Sweden put itself in a tight spot with that game. If they lose to Paraguay, they're out - and a Paraguay win wouldn't be that big of an upset.

13. Jun 11, 2006 #12

-Job-

Science Advisor

It wasn't only luck, Sweden underperformed in finalization. But they played a very enjoyable game, i liked Ljundberg, Ibrahimovic and Whilmhelsson on the swedish side and Hislop plus the left central defender (whatever his name is :smile: ) on the TT side.

14. Jun 11, 2006 #13
    Another no-show of yesterday's matches!!! The Swedes had plenty of goal opportunities but luck did not favour them. It seems there was a severe drought of goals in the 1st two matches.

15. Jun 12, 2006 #14

EL

Science Advisor

Actually I would have felt better to be able to say Sweden s**ked in this game, but fact is we weren't that terrible. 26 finished attacks (or how do you say that in english?) is pretty good. With normal efficiency the game would have ended like 2-0 or 3-0...but of course, that's what it's all about: scoreing goals...

16. Jun 12, 2006 #15

NateTG

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

"Finished attacks" is probably 'shots'. I'd like to say shots on goal, but I don't think that Sweden actually had all 26 of them on target.

Yeah, that's a lot, but it's an issue of quality as well as quantity:
    Germany had 24 against Costa Rica, and scored 4.
    Last time around Germany had 27 agaist Saudi Arabia and scored 8.

The fact is that T&T played very smart soccer defensively. Always covering space, they almost always had bodies in all of the right places.

17. Jun 12, 2006 #16

EL

Science Advisor

Yeah sure, but we have a nicer word in Swedish, but anyway...

Yup, but we had at least five high quality chances.

Agreed!

18. Jun 12, 2006 #17
    Just goes to show how important the right manager is...

19. Jun 12, 2006 #18
    Yes, and besides they had only 10 players...they put up a pretty good defence inspite of that.

20. Jun 12, 2006 #19

BobG

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Are they counting corner kicks as shots? I think Sweden had about 18 shots with 6 on goal. Only Germany dominated more than Sweden with 21 shots, 10 on goal.

It is more than luck when a goalkeeper has that good of a game - at least they weren't giving up easy shots. But, usually, a great game by the keeper means a loss.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?