Microbaker Potatoes: Tasty and Fast Cooking!

• Thread starter Math Is Hard
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Cooking
In summary: I usually use a fork to make sure they're not punctured before I put them in. Yep, that's what I do too,...except I usually use a fork to make sure they're not punctured before I put them in.
Math Is Hard
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
My market sells these individual potatoes and sweet potatoes wrapped (sealed) in plastic. They're called http://www.progressiverecipes.com/package_microbaker_pot.html . Have you seen these? The label says "Oven Baked Taste - right from the microwave."
I am curious if this plastic wrap really makes any difference in the way it tastes or how fast it cooks. To me they taste the same as if I cook one without the wrap, but they do appear to cook faster. (Of course, this might be just because their potatoes are slightly smaller than what I usually buy.)

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
I usually wrap my food in plastic when I put it in the microwave. The microwave tends to heat unevenly and if I don't put plastic over the food some parts are overcooked and others aren't cooked enough. I think the plastic keeps all the moisture inside the food and disperses the heat faster prviding more even cooking and prevents that nasty dry taste that microwaved food can have.

Huckleberry said:
I usually wrap my food in plastic when I put it in the microwave.
Potatoes are properly cooked the same way as hot dogs. Stick a nail in each end, hook one strand of a lamp cord to each one, and plug it in. (Cooking times might vary in Europe.)

Huckleberry said:
I usually wrap my food in plastic when I put it in the microwave. The microwave tends to heat unevenly and if I don't put plastic over the food some parts are overcooked and others aren't cooked enough. I think the plastic keeps all the moisture inside the food and disperses the heat faster prviding more even cooking and prevents that nasty dry taste that microwaved food can have.

hmm..I guess even-heating and moisture preservation is the advantage then. I could just do it myself and wrap regular potatoes in saran wrap since there's probably nothing special about the plastic they use.

I'm such a sucker for gimmicks in the grocery store. I have to try everything new. I'm also into those "grapples" now - grape-flavored apples. They're pretty good I think.

Danger said:
Potatoes are properly cooked the same way as hot dogs. Stick a nail in each end, hook one strand of a lamp cord to each one, and plug it in. (Cooking times might vary in Europe.)
My physics teacher electrocuted a hotdog for a class demonstration once. Every time I smell hotdogs cooking now I think of physics class! :biggrin:

Last edited:
Wrapping stuff before you put it in the microwave also prevents all that nasty splatter. That stuff is the second hardest substance in the world. The worst is the junk on the bottom of the oven.

I've seen microwaves that look worse than gas station men's rooms. No way would I put my food in either of those places.

Math Is Hard said:
My physics teacher electrocuted a hotdog for a class demonstration once. Every time I smell hotdogs cooking now I think of physics class! :biggrin:

When I was a kid, we had a hot dog zapper (well, that was my name for it). It was a plastic box with a row of metal spikes on either side. You took a package of hotdogs and impaled each one on a set of spikes, then plugged it in. I guess it was a tad safer than Danger's version. I still didn't like the hotdogs, but I was much more willing to help cook them when we got that thing. :biggrin:

As for the plastic wrapped sweet potatoes, I never read the package or anything and couldn't figure out what made them more ready to cook than the non-plastic wrapped ones. I don't think I'd cook them in sealed wrap...wouldn't the steam build up and explode the wrapping?

Moonbear said:
As for the plastic wrapped sweet potatoes, I never read the package or anything and couldn't figure out what made them more ready to cook than the non-plastic wrapped ones. I don't think I'd cook them in sealed wrap...wouldn't the steam build up and explode the wrapping?
That was a concern I had, but I haven't exploded one yet. Usually when I nuke unwrapped potatoes I punch holes in them with a fork first, but there is no recommendation to puncture either the seal or the potato with these micro-bakers.

I like to add a little butter, then sprinkle them with nutmeg and toasted pecan bits. Ground ginger is good on them too.

hypatia said:
I like to add a little butter, then sprinkle them with nutmeg and toasted pecan bits. Ground ginger is good on them too.
You get just a little weirder every day. :tongue:

Math Is Hard said:
That was a concern I had, but I haven't exploded one yet. Usually when I nuke unwrapped potatoes I punch holes in them with a fork first, but there is no recommendation to puncture either the seal or the potato with these micro-bakers.

Yep, that's what I do too, stab them with a fork before nuking them. Maybe that's not really necessary? Those were the instructions for potatoes ages ago when we got our first microwave, so I've always done it that way under the assumption that they'd explode if I didn't.

Danger said:
LOL - this reminds me of a movie I really enjoyed, 'Benny and Joon' ( ) with Johnny Depp; they have a great way of cooking mashed potatoes and toasted cheese :smile: (my style of cooking :bugeye: )

I caught a glimpse of the title of this thread while scrolling and thought I had just read "the sweet potato eaters." I wondered if they'd found a lost van Gogh.

Huckleberry said:
Wrapping stuff before you put it in the microwave also prevents all that nasty splatter. That stuff is the second hardest substance in the world. The worst is the junk on the bottom of the oven.

I've seen microwaves that look worse than gas station men's rooms. No way would I put my food in either of those places.
You should use waxpaper instead of plastic wrap. A young girl did an experiment for a science fair and she discovered that plastic releases molecules when heated and these mix with water vapor and drop into the food. Her results were confirmed by chemists.

http://www.mindfully.org/Plastic/Microwave-Health-Problems.htm

When I use plastic wrap it is never on the food itself. I always use a bowl or something to wrap the plastic around. I'm always worried that the plastic will melt into my food. I don't like bits of plastic in my reheated pasta.

Didn't know anything about the chemicals from plastic though. That's interesting.

alexandra said:
LOL - this reminds me of a movie I really enjoyed, 'Benny and Joon'
Love that movie. I find it impossible to listen to the Proclaimers withou seeing Depp dancing those breadsticks around the counter. His sight gags in that show are right back to Keaton and Chaplin.

Math Is Hard said:
My market sells these individual potatoes and sweet potatoes wrapped (sealed) in plastic. They're called http://www.progressiverecipes.com/package_microbaker_pot.html . Have you seen these? The label says "Oven Baked Taste - right from the microwave."
I am curious if this plastic wrap really makes any difference in the way it tastes or how fast it cooks. To me they taste the same as if I cook one without the wrap, but they do appear to cook faster. (Of course, this might be just because their potatoes are slightly smaller than what I usually buy.)
How much more expensive are these? Especially taking into account the smaller size? It seems that many products are being packaged more creatively to justify an increase in price.

This reminds me of a time when we took friends from England to dinner where "twice-baked" potatoes were on the menu. It was so funny when our friend asked the waitress why they couldn't get the potato cooked right the first time.

zoobyshoe said:
I caught a glimpse of the title of this thread while scrolling and thought I had just read "the sweet potato eaters." I wondered if they'd found a lost van Gogh.
I didn't know Van Gogh was lost. I thought we knew where he was. Some folks just won't lay down and stay dead. Sheesh.

Math Is Hard said:
I didn't know Van Gogh was lost. I thought we knew where he was. Some folks just won't lay down and stay dead. Sheesh.
The other implication here, of course, being that, when they found him, all he had to say was: "I yam what I yam"...

Math Is Hard said:
He's wandered away and been recovered several times, yes. But you can't keep a gogh man down.
plover said:
The other implication here, of course, being that, when they found him, all he had to say was: "I yam what I yam"...
'The Sweet Potato Eaters subtitled `I yam what I yam!' by Vincent van Gogh was recovered today in a barn loft in Belgium. It depicts Popeye, Olive Oil, and Sweepea, arranged around a small table in a closed, small room, in dim orange light, at a meal consisting of nothing but sweet potatos. Japanese private parties have already offered several millions for it."

zoobyshoe said:
'The Sweet Potato Eaters subtitled `I yam what I yam!' by Vincent van Gogh was recovered today in a barn loft in Belgium. It depicts Popeye, Olive Oil, and Sweepea, arranged around a small table in a closed, small room, in dim orange light, at a meal consisting of nothing but sweet potatos. Japanese private parties have already offered several millions for it."
One investor was heard to say, "I'd gladly pay you Tuesday for a van Gogh today."

plover said:
One investor was heard to say, "I'd gladly pay you Tuesday for a van Gogh today."
I can't believe that Artman isn't involved in this.

plover said:
Speculation is high that the third rumored panel (said to depict the interior of a "greasy spoon" restaurant, and to be titled The Burger Eaters) of the tryptich What's For Dinner? mentioned by the painter in a letter to his brother, Theo, will also soon be rediscovered.

zoobyshoe said:
He's wandered away and been recovered several times, yes. But you can't keep a gogh man down.

The painting, in desperate need of a cleaning, has been xrayed to aide in verification of authenticity. The xray revealed lead based flake white paint in an area thought previously to be only shadows. It would appear to indicate the presense of yet another figure. It was decided to proceed with the cleaning. As the years of dirt and grime were painstakingly removed, a bearded figure did indeed emerge from the shadowy depths of the background. The figure has been identified as Popeye's nemisis "Brutisk." The hieghtened drama this figure produced just adds to the bidding frenzy for this lost masterpiece.

1. What are Microbaker Potatoes?

Microbaker Potatoes are a type of potato that has been specifically bred to be small in size and cook quickly in the microwave. They are designed to be convenient and easy to prepare for a fast and tasty meal.

2. How do I cook Microbaker Potatoes?

Cooking Microbaker Potatoes is simple and quick. Simply wash the potatoes and prick them with a fork, then place them in the microwave on a microwave-safe tray or plate. Cook on high for 5-6 minutes, flipping halfway through. Let them cool for a few minutes before enjoying!

3. Are Microbaker Potatoes healthy?

Yes, Microbaker Potatoes are a healthy option for a quick meal. They are a good source of carbohydrates, fiber, and several important vitamins and minerals. They are also low in fat and calories, making them a great choice for a balanced diet.

4. Can I add toppings to Microbaker Potatoes?

Yes, you can add any desired toppings to your Microbaker Potatoes. Some popular options include cheese, sour cream, chives, bacon bits, and chili. Get creative and make your own delicious combination!

5. Where can I purchase Microbaker Potatoes?

Microbaker Potatoes can be found in most grocery stores, usually in the produce section. They may also be available at farmers' markets or specialty food stores. Look for them in the same area where other potatoes are sold.