MIT Swim Test: Everything You Need to Know

• Thread starter Nerd10
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Mit Test
In summary: No, I never became a certified pirate.Thanks for the summary.In summary, MIT requires all students to pass a swim test before enrollment. If you can't swim, you can take beginning swimming.
Nerd10
I just had a interview yesterday and found that every student must pass the swim test once they get into MIT, is this true? Is the swim test hard? What if I don't know how to swim at all? What should I do then?

Physics news on Phys.org
Nerd10 said:
What should I do then?

Learn how to swim.

It might save your life one day.

HAHAHA, that sounds great.

Nerd10 said:
I just had a interview yesterday and found that every student must pass the swim test once they get into MIT, is this true? Is the swim test hard? What if I don't know how to swim at all? What should I do then?

Swimming should be the least of your worries if you get into MIT.

If you look online, you just have to tread water for 100 yards. Seems kind of awkward to me, but MIT is a strange school.

If you can't swim, you can meet the requirement by taking beginning swimming. (And this took Google 0.15 seconds to find this information. This is something else you will need to do if you want to survive MIT)

Student100 said:
If you look online, you just have to tread water for 100 yards. Seems kind of awkward to me, but MIT is a strange school.

Nonsense.

You can also waive it in extenuating circumstances but you just need to register for beginning swimming and it is done.

It has something to do with an old alum donating money with the condition of having that requirement.

atyy said:
Nonsense.

How so?

My school has the same exact requirement.

Thanks, guys.

I guess it's OK that I was turned down by MIT after I applied. I couldn't swim then and I can't swim now.

I don't know how such requirements survive in these days of the Americans with Disabilities Act and Title IX.

As for the argument that such requirements are necessary because "Anything that prevents people from dying needlessly is a valuable skill", I wonder how many institutions would require that one be able to put 10 rounds through a target from say twenty paces? That seems to be a more valuable skill these days than being able to tread water or do a breast stroke (no pun intended).

SteamKing said:
I guess it's OK that I was turned down by MIT after I applied. I couldn't swim then and I can't swim now.

I don't know how such requirements survive in these days of the Americans with Disabilities Act and Title IX.

As for the argument that such requirements are necessary because "Anything that prevents people from dying needlessly is a valuable skill", I wonder how many institutions would require that one be able to put 10 rounds through a target from say twenty paces? That seems to be a more valuable skill these days than being able to tread water or do a breast stroke (no pun intended).

MIT might, they still offer pirate certifications don't they? :tongue2:

Yeah, but how these requirements haven't been challenged as racist or discriminatory is a mystery to me.

SteamKing said:
I wonder how many institutions would require that one be able to put 10 rounds through a target from say twenty paces?

I took pistol at MIT. One of the best classes I ever took.

SteamKing said:

There isn't an extra cost for the swimming classes outside of the tuition required to be enrolled as a student in the first.

Vanadium 50 said:
I took pistol at MIT. One of the best classes I ever took.

Did you become a certified pirate Val?

1. What is the MIT Swim Test?

The MIT Swim Test is a mandatory swimming proficiency test for all incoming undergraduate students at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT). It is designed to ensure that students are able to swim and tread water for their own safety and well-being.

2. Why is the MIT Swim Test required?

The MIT Swim Test is required for all undergraduate students because the campus is located on the Charles River, and students may need to swim in case of emergency or for participation in certain activities, such as crew or sailing. It is also a graduation requirement for all students.

3. How do I prepare for the MIT Swim Test?

To prepare for the MIT Swim Test, it is recommended to practice swimming and treading water in a pool beforehand. You can also attend swim classes or lessons to improve your swimming skills. Additionally, familiarizing yourself with the test requirements and practicing different strokes can also help you prepare.

4. What are the specific requirements of the MIT Swim Test?

The MIT Swim Test requires students to swim 100 yards (91.4 meters) continuously using any stroke, followed by treading water for 10 minutes. Students are not allowed to touch the bottom or sides of the pool during the test. The test must be taken in a standard 25-yard pool with a depth of at least 7 feet.

5. What happens if I fail the MIT Swim Test?

If a student fails the MIT Swim Test, they will have the opportunity to retake the test within the first few weeks of the semester. If they are unable to pass after two attempts, they will be required to enroll in a beginner swim class and retake the test at the end of the semester. Students who do not pass the test by the end of their first year may face academic consequences.