Swimming pool heating by 16 car radiators on hot loft

Actual results:

The car radiators ended up giving 13.000 Watts of heat to the swimming pool and today the pool temperature was 32 C / 90 F. (The last ten days the air has been 15 C / 59 F during nights and 25 C / 77 F during the day and sunny)

When I use 1 Joule of energy I get 30 Joules back; k=30. A normal heat pump only has k=4 or 5. (The eight fans and the two pumps use 436 watts.)

I build the system with 24 car radiators and they produce 540 Watts each - and 540 Watts is the answer to my original question in this thread.

Dimensions of water pipes, pumps and flow:
50 meters of 40 mm pvc pipes distributed to 4 x 10 meters of 25 mm pvc tubes run by 100 Watts of pump power and that sends 1660 Liters of water back and forth every hour with a temperature increase of 5 or 6 degrees Celcius.

People may ask, "why didn't you just use regular solar water heating collector panels". Well my wife is a designer, and she said panels would look bad on the roof - end of discussion. Also i didn't like the idea of installing a heat pump, that would be expensive and noisy to run.

I think the system is a success, it was fun to build and it is fun to have, but its 400 components did cost 4000 dollars to buy and it will take 200 dollars to operate per year. Alternatively a heat pump would cost 2000-3000 dollars to buy and 1000 dollars to operate per year. (Danish prices).
12 boxes with 2 radiators each.jpg
Two fans serial and six car radiators in parallel.jpg
Distributor, expansion tank and pump.jpg
Temp, pressure and flow gauges.jpg
Three fans.jpg

I love watching free energy going into my pool.

Likes kith, OmCheeto, russ_watters and 2 others
russ_watters
Mentor
Congrats! Great project! You collect more energy than I would have guessed.

Likes Sten Larsen