Swim to Europe: Is it Possible?

In summary, someone tried to cross the Atlantic by raft, but it was unsuccessful. They may be able to find help from Ragnar Thorstvedt, a Viking captain who attempted the crossing a few times.
tumor
Is there a way for person to get to Europe other than flying on a passenger jet?

Physics news on Phys.org
Once upon a time there were these things called boats...

;)

land bridges, continental drift, teleportation, fax, Fed Ex.

If you're in certain parts of Asia, you could walk it...

I mean of course going from America(E.coast) to Europe.
You know why am I asking this question anyway?; because couple days ago there was that huge volcano eruption in Iceland and many flights to and from N.America were canceled or rerouted and that got me thinking what if aircrafts won't be able to fly at all to Europe. I have my parents( really old folks))living there, how am I going to get there? :cry: :cry:
PS I checked some time ago ticket price on a Queen Elizabeth sail from NY to London-prohibitive price :eek:

Didn't some guy swim across the atlantic ocean? It took him weeks thought, he's swim for the day, then sleep on an anchored boat, then swim, rinse and repeat.

Seriously, you can take a boat, or fly in an airplane, or swim beside a boat, be dragged along behind the airplane in a parachut (probably not the healthiest), but that's about it

It's a shorter boat ride across the Bering Strait (or you can wait until it's frozen and walk most of it), then just walk the rest of the way. :rofl: Bring your long underwear if you want to do that though, it gets a bit chilly up there...brrrrrrr.

Someone tried rowing across, but gave up and called for rescue after her navigation system shorted out and she got blown off course by two or three hurricanes...oh, and she dislocated a shoulder bobbing around in the last hurricane, so claimed she couldn't row anymore...wimp! :rofl: She had a cabin in a self-righting boat, and while that might have sounded like a good idea, she clearly hadn't considered it would be akin to riding out the tumble cycle in a dryer during especially rough water conditions.

Bering strait is maybe 50-70km wide in winter one could walk across.But there is one small problem-polar bears.You going to look to them like nice little snack.
Even if I make it across strait, in siberia are man eating tigers and worst of them all (drunken russians :wink: )

A Viking ship captained by the Norwegian Ragnar Thorstvedt has made the journey.

tumor: If you ask him nicely, you might be able to loan his boat..

Yeah! why not ! How many days took them to cross Atlantic?

There is one option to cross Atlantic in quite comfortable way-GULF STREAM!
I would have to make raft, get some supplies and off I go, slowly but surely to Europe.
I can visit you in Norway Arlindo. :smile:

You're welcome, tumor!

But I have to warn you:
Most Norwegians regard Ragnar Thorstvedt to be a TRUE Viking; generous to friends, quick to laugh, but also quick to anger..

EDIT:
Oh, I see, you were planning to make your own raft, perhaps that's wiser, after all..

Then you could speak to Heyerdahl for expert advise on raft-building...

Heyerdahl is dead.

arildno said:
Heyerdahl is dead.

When I was small kid I remeber watching on TV his journeys on a raft.
That raft was almost sinking!Man!
Back in my youth we had only 2 TV channels in my country,and almost whole day they were showing nature documentaries because they were obviously much cheaper buy than Hollywood movies.And Thor Heyerdal kon-tiki's expedition I watched maybe 20 times :approve:
He was reall Viking to me and still is,little eccentric at times but who is not?

Last edited:
And what type of wood was Heyerdal's Kon-Tiki made out of? ~question from Trivial Pursuit the original edition.

arildno said:
Heyerdahl is dead.

You never spoken to dead people ? No ? :confused:

C'mon folks...tell arildno that we all speak to dead people ! :rolleyes:

the spanish Kitin Muñoz tried to cross the Atlantic from Barcelona to Cartagena de Indias in a primitive boat. He parted in 2001, but don't ask me if he arrived, I don't have idea
http://www.modelismonaval.net/Reportajes/MataRangiIII/Ingles%20index.htm

Richard Branson did it in a balloon a few years ago. A bit dangerous though.
http://www.virginatlanticglobalflyer.com/Team/RichardBranson/index.jsp [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator:
Gokul43201 said:

I've never met anyone who couldn't speak to dead people.. weird.

Gokul43201 said:

Well, we Norwegians find such practices rather gross.
"Live and let live, die and leave dead" is a Norwegian proverb.

Last edited:
Sorry guys, but after this ellection and seeing what is going on in M.East my new proverb is; live or die what's the ****ing difference?

tumor said:
Is there a way for person to get to Europe other than flying on a passenger jet?

Here's a few possibilities that no one's really tried, so we don't really know if they work :

1. catapult/slingshot/cannon

2. Buy and train a flock of large migratory birds, while at the same time fasting, to cut your weight in half. When ready, harness yourself to the legs of the birds (so that your 80 lb body weight shared by 100 birds, gives each of them less than a pound to carry), .

3. Proposition 2 with helium balloons to help the birds out more, and an umbrella to keep the droppings off you.

4. Buy and train a large team of gophers/rabbits/groundhogs/aardvarks (or other burrowing animal). Begin burrowing at your house. Stop when you reach required destination.

5. Mail yourself to someone in Europe. That was you'll only travel in a cargo plane. (somewhat similar plan has been succesfully executed in past)

6. (This one actually works very often) Join the Navy !

Last edited:
Gokul43201 said:
3. Proposition 2 with helium balloons to help the birds out more, and an umbrella to keep the droppings off you.

Incredible!balloons of course! why I did not thought of that! I would make one small adjustment.
Why not just hover in the air in one spot for hours while Earth is rotating underneath,this way I would find my self in europe.

"Why not just hover in the air in one spot for hours while Earth is rotating underneath,this way I would find my self in europe."

It's a bit more complicated than that, since the air is also rotating with the earth..

Gokul43201 said:
2. Buy and train a flock of large migratory birds, while at the same time fasting, to cut your weight in half. When ready, harness yourself to the legs of the birds (so that your 80 lb body weight shared by 100 birds, gives each of them less than a pound to carry), .

Hmm... Interesting... I'll have to research this.
The timescales involved may prove difficult for the birds under such stress... I wonder if you could tell me- What is the airspeed velocity of an unladen swallow?

Yes, air is pushing me also, so maybe I would need geese to hold me in place.Gokul43201 was right, i would have to get some birds or propeller.

I would go for albatrosses; they've got a nice temper.
That's rather important, or what?

i'd go with hummingbirds. That's flying first class.

The problem with humming birds, is that suddenly decide to hover, and refuse to move forwards.

That's why they're called the "mules of the air" (Norwegian proverb)

HaH! I have got even better, cheaper and animal friendly way, I'm going to eat beans and stick my ass in the opposite direction and use as a kind of rocket engine :approve:

You are NOT welcome in Norway if that is to be your means of transportation.
It's bad enough that the Icelanders pester us with layers of ash these days, we certainly won't put up with some farty Americans.

Fart off to France instead..:grumpy:

Gokul43201 said:

That works until they decide to take a break in the middle of the ocean and they are better at floating around than you are. Did you calculate in the added weight of the water once you've been dunked in the ocean?

Moonbear said:
That works until they decide to take a break in the middle of the ocean and they are better at floating around than you are. Did you calculate in the added weight of the water once you've been dunked in the ocean?
That's not relevant, since the birds are gaining a lot of strength by eating fish during their lunch-break

matthyaouw said:
Hmm... Interesting... I'll have to research this.
The timescales involved may prove difficult for the birds under such stress... I wonder if you could tell me- What is the airspeed velocity of an unladen swallow?

That depends on whether its an African swallow or a European one.

Anyways, all I know is that in order to maintain air-speed velocity, the swallow needs to beat its wings forty-three times every second.

France?..why not, they have good wine, hot women, but I'm going to have to brush up on my French :frown: Au revoir!