Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Swimming to Europe?

1. Nov 6, 2004 #1
    Is there a way for person to get to Europe other than flying on a passenger jet?

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 6, 2004 #2
    Once upon a time there were these things called boats...

;)

4. Nov 6, 2004 #3
    land bridges, continental drift, teleportation, fax, Fed Ex.

5. Nov 6, 2004 #4

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

If you're in certain parts of Asia, you could walk it...

6. Nov 6, 2004 #5
    I mean of course going from America(E.coast) to Europe.
    You know why am I asking this question anyway?; because couple days ago there was that huge volcano eruption in Iceland and many flights to and from N.America were cancelled or rerouted and that got me thinking what if aircrafts won't be able to fly at all to Europe. I have my parents( really old folks))living there, how am I going to get there? :cry: :cry:
    PS I checked some time ago ticket price on a Queen Elizabeth sail from NY to London-prohibitive price :eek:

7. Nov 6, 2004 #6
    Didn't some guy swim across the atlantic ocean? It took him weeks thought, he's swim for the day, then sleep on an anchored boat, then swim, rinse and repeat.

Seriously, you can take a boat, or fly in an airplane, or swim beside a boat, be dragged along behind the airplane in a parachut (probably not the healthiest), but thats about it

8. Nov 6, 2004 #7

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

It's a shorter boat ride across the Bering Strait (or you can wait until it's frozen and walk most of it), then just walk the rest of the way. :rofl: Bring your long underwear if you want to do that though, it gets a bit chilly up there...brrrrrrr.

Someone tried rowing across, but gave up and called for rescue after her navigation system shorted out and she got blown off course by two or three hurricanes...oh, and she dislocated a shoulder bobbing around in the last hurricane, so claimed she couldn't row anymore...wimp! :rofl: She had a cabin in a self-righting boat, and while that might have sounded like a good idea, she clearly hadn't considered it would be akin to riding out the tumble cycle in a dryer during especially rough water conditions.

9. Nov 6, 2004 #8
    Bering strait is maybe 50-70km wide in winter one could walk across.But there is one small problem-polar bears.You gonna look to them like nice little snack.
    Even if I make it across strait, in siberia are man eating tigers and worst of them all (drunken russians :wink: )

10. Nov 6, 2004 #9

arildno

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

A Viking ship captained by the Norwegian Ragnar Thorstvedt has made the journey.

tumor: If you ask him nicely, you might be able to loan his boat..

11. Nov 6, 2004 #10
    Yeah! why not ! How many days took them to cross Atlantic?

There is one option to cross Atlantic in quite comfortable way-GULF STREAM!
    I would have to make raft, get some supplies and off I go, slowly but surely to Europe.
    I can visit you in Norway Arlindo. :smile:

12. Nov 6, 2004 #11

arildno

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

You're welcome, tumor!

But I have to warn you:
    Most Norwegians regard Ragnar Thorstvedt to be a TRUE Viking; generous to friends, quick to laugh, but also quick to anger..

EDIT:
    Oh, I see, you were planning to make your own raft, perhaps that's wiser, after all..

13. Nov 6, 2004 #12

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Then you could speak to Heyerdahl for expert advise on raft-building...

14. Nov 6, 2004 #13

arildno

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

Heyerdahl is dead.

15. Nov 6, 2004 #14
    When I was small kid I remeber watching on TV his journeys on a raft.
    That raft was almost sinking!Man!
    Back in my youth we had only 2 TV channels in my country,and almost whole day they were showing nature documentaries because they were obviously much cheaper buy than Hollywood movies.And Thor Heyerdal kon-tiki's expedition I watched maybe 20 times :approve:
    He was reall Viking to me and still is,little eccentric at times but who is not?

Last edited: Nov 6, 2004
  16. Nov 6, 2004 #15
    And what type of wood was Heyerdal's Kon-Tiki made out of? ~question from Trivial Pursuit the original edition.

17. Nov 6, 2004 #16

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

You never spoken to dead people ? No ? :confused:

C'mon folks...tell arildno that we all speak to dead people ! :rolleyes:

18. Nov 6, 2004 #17
  19. Nov 6, 2004 #18
  20. Nov 6, 2004 #19
    I've never met anyone who couldn't speak to dead people.. weird.

21. Nov 7, 2004 #20

arildno

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

Well, we Norwegians find such practices rather gross.
    "Live and let live, die and leave dead" is a Norwegian proverb.

Last edited: Nov 7, 2004
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?