Swine flu vaccination

• Medical
  • Thread starter Borek
  • Start date
I think I will follow her PoV, for the trivial egoistic reason that if ever things turn out sour, it will be her fault, and not mine...

Way to go !

I myself will get a flu shot if I can. I have taken flu shots for the last 15 years or more, and don't see why I shouldn't get this one.

I never took any flue vaccine , and frankly cant recall in the last 10 years if I ever got flue.
Judging by the intensity of symptoms and recovery times, I don't believe I ever got anything else but colds. One time it got serious, but it turns out it was bacterial and I had to take antibiotics. My holidays were never ruined.

I see no much use to take immunizations only for the sake of it.

vanesch
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Way to go !
:biggrin:

I never took any flue vaccine , and frankly cant recall in the last 10 years if I ever got flue.
Judging by the intensity of symptoms and recovery times, I don't believe I ever got anything else but colds.

I had the flu twice (at least, that's what the doctor told me back then - without any specific test), and I really got it badly: 2 weeks in bed, and several weeks afterwards not quite ok. I think each time I got a bacterial complication following it.

Since then, I always take a flu shot. Not because I "fear for my life" but rather because I want to avoid the unpleasantness of being so ill.

DrGreg
Science Advisor
Gold Member
I think one of the reasons governments are worried about swine flu is the risk that large numbers of people could fall ill at the same time. This could leave essential services understaffed.

CRGreathouse
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
I think one of the reasons governments are worried about swine flu is the risk that large numbers of people could fall ill at the same time. This could leave essential services understaffed.

That's precisely why I got (had to get?) my shot.

Borek
Mentor
large numbers of people could fall ill at the same time.

That's precisely why I got (had to get?) my shot.

And now you will get ill at some other time?

berkeman
Mentor
And now you will get ill at some other time?

Yeah, but I think he had a good point. At my work, that's one of the contingency plans that we've had to work on because of H1N1. We have a number of employees with VPN access that regularly telecommute, but to have 10x that number with VPN access for a few weeks would be a very expensive option.

vanesch
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Yeah, but I think he had a good point. At my work, that's one of the contingency plans that we've had to work on because of H1N1. We have a number of employees with VPN access that regularly telecommute, but to have 10x that number with VPN access for a few weeks would be a very expensive option.

This is already the case at our place. There was a rather drastic plan beginning september, when a peak of infection was expected beginning of october: even planning to put some healthy people in quarantine, to "keep them" for during the peak (essentially reactor operators), and send all the rest home, with VPN connections in order not to compromise the health of those that are absolutely necessary. But that peak turned out not to be the case (maybe due to the exceptionally nice weather we had for most of the autumn). Now that vaccination campaigns have started, unless we get a sudden very strong peak in the coming 2 or 3 weeks, this worry is probably behind us.