1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Swing Problem -

1. Oct 30, 2005 #1
    Swing Problem --

Im looking at a swing problem with a swing at some angle theta from vertical. The swing is massless and a child with weight W sits at the end of the swing. How do i find the tension of the swing? Likewise, when the swing is vertical?

Thanks!:smile:

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 30, 2005 #2

Päällikkö

Homework Helper

You should divide the forces into x and y components. What do you think would be the best directions for x and y?

4. Oct 30, 2005 #3
    I tried, but i got something like the x component of tension being the Force Applied/sin theta and the y component being the weight over sine theta or something like that, but i need to find it in terms of weight and theta.

Thanks for your help!

5. Oct 31, 2005 #4

Päällikkö

Homework Helper

Try with y being into the rope's direction.
    What then should forces in that direction equal?

6. Oct 31, 2005 #5
    Ok, think about this: When the child sits on the swing at rest, what are the forces acting on the child on the swing? At least one contact(tension)force and one non-contact(weight) force. (Is there normal force, if not, then tension force and weight force are equal and opposite right?)

Now the child is in motion. On standard x-y axis, the weight is straight down and tension is [tex]\theta[/tex] from the vertical. Now use your vast knowledge of trigonometry(or even geometry) to find where that angle goes, and set the sum of the forces in the x-direction and y-direction

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?