1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Swinging, pendulum like mass

1. Aug 21, 2008 #1
    how can i express tension in this case, using alpha, alpha max,g, m, and L ??

a case of a mass of m hanging from a ceiling on a cord with a length of L swinging at a maximum angle of "alpha max" on either side, and at any given moment and an angle of alpha(changes all the time)

how can i express T, the strings tension, using the parameters m,g,alpha,alpha max,and L??

what i did was say:
    according to circular movement, looking at the radial acceleration ar

now how can i express v using the parameters, what i think i need to do is look at the maximum angle, and say V=0 so mar=0 so T(point of max)=mgcos(alpha max) but i dont see how that cann further me at all,
    again, in the end i need an expression T=???????? using only m,g,L,alph, alpha max

***no friction at all, mass will reach alpha max every time, no loss of energy
  2. jcsd
  3. Aug 21, 2008 #2

from here using energy,
    E(max point)=mgh=const
    my point of reference for potential energy being the ceiling

E=0.5mv^2+mgh=-mgcos(alpha max)*L

T=3mgcos(alpha)-2mgcos(alpha max)

is this correct??
    the question asked me to use L in the expression, do i need it??
  4. Aug 21, 2008 #3
    I would start by determining the period of the pendulum which will be a function of length and gravity. You then have your alpha max which will determine your displacement. Period and displacement you can then equate to velocity.

EDIT: Bit of a time lapse with post #2, wasn't able to read it before this post. What happened to this L?

5. Aug 21, 2008 #4
    i divided the whole equation by L
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?