Solving Mechanics Problem: Find a(t) from a(Q)

• Thread starter pwnage101
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Mechanics
In summary, the conversation discusses the representation of motion of a swinging rod as a function of time given initial conditions. The rod has uniform density and freely pivots at one end. The formula for acceleration is discussed and the individual is trying to convert it into a function of time. The conversation also mentions a website that was not helpful and suggests an alternate method for setting up the problem. The conversation ends with a suggestion to use a numerical solution to solve the differential equation.
pwnage101
i have a mechanics problem. i want to represent the motion of a swinging rod (given initial conditions) as a function of time, but instead i can only find it as a function of the angle.

this rod has uniform density and freely pivots at one end.

Q = angle from 0 counter-clockwise to the rod
L = length
M = mass
Fgrav = force due to gravity

I = integral(r^2 dm, 0,L)
= integral(r^2 M*dl/L, 0,l)
= (M*L^2)/3
Fgrav = Mg -> Mg*cos(Q) tangentially
torque = F*L/2 = I*a
a = (3g/2L)*cos(Q)

how am i able to convert this a(Q) into a(t) ? (that's rotational acceleration by the way)
unfortunately, the following website was of no help. it simply took the exact same steps to get the exact same result
http://www.myphysicslab.com/pendulum1.html

this is for a graphical physics simulation I'm about to finish writing in Java. now i just need the formula

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm not sure if this thinking is correct, but is the acceleration of the rod not constant? ie. a(t)=0. Just a thought...

Otherwise, you have to find Q in terms of t.

Sorry, that's about as much as I can offer.

Fgrav = Mg -> Mg*cos(Q) tangentially?
You sure that isn't -Mg*sin(Q)?

Anyway, if you have an expression of the form I*a = -torque, you can set up the differential eq. I*a + torque = 0, or a + torque/I = 0, where a equals d^2Q/dt^2 (angular acceleration=second derivative of Q with respect to time).

You have chosen an awkward way to set this problem up with you choice of the angle Q.

The usual way to set up a pendulum problem is to measure an angle theta from the downward vertical to the rod. Then the equation of motion is
Sum of Torques = - M*g*L/2*sin(theta) = I * ddtheta

Now what you have at this point, and what you had in your original formulation by the way, is a differential equation, that has to be solved, either in closed form or numerically. The closed form solution involves elliptic integrals and is a pretty hairy affair, so unless you are really up to speed on such things, I would suggest that you try a numerical Runge-Kutta solution.

1. What does a(t) represent in solving mechanics problems?

a(t) represents the acceleration of an object at a given time(t). It is a vector quantity that describes the rate of change of an object's velocity.

2. How is a(t) calculated from a(Q)?

To calculate a(t) from a(Q), we use the formula a(t) = dQ/dt, where dQ represents the change in velocity over time (dt). This can be done by finding the slope of the velocity vs. time graph or by differentiating the position function with respect to time.

3. What is the difference between a(t) and a(Q)?

a(t) and a(Q) both represent acceleration, but they are calculated in different ways. a(t) is calculated at a specific time point, while a(Q) is the average acceleration over a period of time. Additionally, a(t) is a vector quantity, while a(Q) is a scalar quantity.

4. Can a(t) be negative?

Yes, a(t) can be negative. This indicates that the object is decelerating or slowing down. Acceleration is a vector quantity, so a negative value indicates a change in direction or a decrease in speed.

5. How is a(t) used to solve mechanics problems?

a(t) is used in conjunction with other kinematic equations to solve mechanics problems. It can help us determine an object's velocity and position at a given time if we know its initial conditions and the acceleration at that time. It can also be used to analyze the motion of an object and make predictions about its future motion.