1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Swinging Vine

1. Jan 14, 2004 #1
    Swinging Vine(HELP ASAP)

All help is apprieciated.

Backwoods Allister hunts deer with the following weapon...a rock attached to a 2m vine. He holds the end above his head at a point 2m above the ground, when the above ground angle reaches 60 degrees with the vertical the rock breaks off and flies towards the deer. At what minimum distance from Allister can the deer stand with no danger of a direct hit?
    Last edited: Jan 19, 2004
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 14, 2004 #2
    I think it depends on how tall the deer is. But all in all this is a simple trig problem. Why don't you give it a shot first?
  4. Jan 14, 2004 #3
    Well here's what I have so far. I used trig to find that the rock will be 1m above the ground and that the radius of the circle is 1.7m. From here I'd need to find the speed? Then use projectile? I'm kinda lost here.
  5. Jan 14, 2004 #4

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Try applying conservation of energy.
  6. Jan 14, 2004 #5
    How so?
  7. Jan 14, 2004 #6

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

The change in kinetic energy=the change in potential energy. That will give you the velocity of the rock. From there it's straight kinematics.
  8. Jan 15, 2004 #7
    I know KE = 1/2mv^2
    I know that the change in GPE = mg(delta)h
    How would one write the change in KE?
    1/2mv^2 - 1/2mvf^2 ??
  9. Jan 17, 2004 #8
  10. Jan 18, 2004 #9

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Your original problem does not give enough information to answer this. You would need to know how fast he is swing the rock.
  11. Jan 18, 2004 #10
    There must be some way, my teacher wouldn't have given a question that wasn't possible to answer.

I need to work to this formula: dh = vht

To find t(time).
    dv= 1/2gt^2
    t = (square root of)(1/2gdv)
    t = 2.21 seconds

Now if I try to use Conservation of Energy.

KE(i) + GPE(i) = KE(f) (There is no GPE since it will be on the reference point)
    .5mv(i)^2 + mgh = .5mv(f)^2
    Masses cancel
    .5v(i)^2 + gh = .5v(f)^2

This give you any ideas?
    Last edited: Jan 18, 2004
  12. Jan 19, 2004 #11

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You'd make my life a whole lot easier if you used LaTeX, but that's not really something you can deal with right now.

Ok, so:

Now, the change in height is:

So, we have:
    Some cancelations give:

Whatever the initial velocity that you're dropping the weight with is is [tex]v_0[/tex]. You might see some hint for that somewhere.

From there you can apply the normal kinematic formulae.
  13. Jan 19, 2004 #12
    I don't understand what you mean. V(launch) is the speed that it leaves the rope and V(o) is the speed that it hits the ground with?
  14. Jan 19, 2004 #13

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

[tex]v_0[/tex] is the speed at the top of the swing.
  15. Jan 19, 2004 #14
    I've been looking at this as swinging around him horizontally, I guess I've been looking at it the wrong way all along.
  16. Jan 19, 2004 #15
    How did you find the change in height?

I'm not really following this question too well. The more I think about it the more I get confused. Hopefully I get a snowday tomorrow so I don't have to pass it in. I need the help ASAP!
    Last edited: Jan 19, 2004
  17. Jan 20, 2004 #16

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Maybe that should be cosine. You should be able to use trig to find the change in height.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?