Switchboard in a hazardous area

• Thread starter victorgoh
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Area
In summary, the conversation discusses the use of a TN-C-S system in Australia and the question of whether a MEN link should be removed in a switchboard that feeds a pump in a hazardous area. The potential implications of classifying an area as hazardous and the need to consult with a professional installer are mentioned. It is suggested that isolating the two earthing systems and setting up a TT Earth at the switchboard may be the appropriate solution.
victorgoh
In Australia, we use TN-C-S system. I have a switchboard feeds a pump in hazardous area. I knew for switchboard in Hazardous area it needs to connect to a TN-S system. So should I remove the MEN link in the switchboard? Could anyone help me with this matter? Thanks.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF.

Maybe this will help understand or ask the question. Sixth page of pdf.
https://www.ee.iitb.ac.in/course/~emlab/assets/earthing.pdf

Why is the area hazardous? The definition and classification of “hazardous area” may have implications for fault currents to Earth.

PF cannot give legal advice, so you will need to consult your State Authority for their interpretation of the standard. It will be their peculiar interpretation that you must follow.

victorgoh said:
In Australia, we use TN-C-S system. I have a switchboard feeds a pump in hazardous area. I knew for switchboard in Hazardous area it needs to connect to a TN-S system. So should I remove the MEN link in the switchboard? Could anyone help me with this matter? Thanks.
I’ll start this by saying if you don’t know, then get a professional installer in.

Are you sure you mean TN-S? That would mean installing an extra wire going back to the transformer. TT would be more likely.

The usual practice is to isolate the two earthing systems. The cable supplying the hazardous switchboard would have its Earth linked to the TNCS system at its origin, but isolated at the destination (plastic gland). That way, the TNCS protects the cable only.

At the switchboard, you would set up a TT Earth as if no TNCS existed, ie use only the live conductors from the cable.

Likes sysprog
Any comments, OP? Always nice to tie up a thread.

What is a switchboard in a hazardous area?

A switchboard in a hazardous area is an electrical panel or control board that is specifically designed and installed in a location where there is a potential for explosive or flammable gases, vapors, or dust to be present. It is used to control and distribute electricity to various equipment and devices in the hazardous area.

What makes a switchboard suitable for use in a hazardous area?

A switchboard must be designed and constructed with materials that are able to withstand and contain any potential explosions or fires. It must also be equipped with special features such as explosion-proof enclosures, seals, and ventilation to prevent the ignition of hazardous substances.

How is a switchboard different from a regular electrical panel?

A switchboard in a hazardous area is specifically designed and tested to meet strict safety standards for use in hazardous environments. It is also equipped with additional safety features such as explosion-proof enclosures and seals, which are not present in a regular electrical panel.

What are the risks associated with using a switchboard in a hazardous area?

The main risk associated with using a switchboard in a hazardous area is the potential for explosions or fires due to the presence of flammable substances. This can be mitigated by following proper installation, maintenance, and safety protocols, as well as using certified equipment and trained personnel.

What precautions should be taken when working with a switchboard in a hazardous area?

When working with a switchboard in a hazardous area, it is important to follow all safety procedures and wear appropriate personal protective equipment. Only trained and authorized personnel should handle the switchboard, and regular maintenance and inspections should be conducted to ensure its safe operation.