1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Switching fields cs to math

1. Nov 29, 2008 #1
    I am a m.s. student of Computer Science at a small university. I have taken
    Calculus 1-3
    Linear Alegbra
    Applied Matrix Techniques
    Elementary Stats
    UpperLevel Probability
    Real Analysis
    (spring) Abstract Algebra
    I have gotten A's in all the above.
    I also have 4.0 gpa as a grad. student. I am planning on taking the GRE general test soon. I have a couple papers being published, and a couple more on the way. One or two math papers. I should leave with no less than 4 publications, although some or most won't be published till post graduation. I also did the thesis track, will be wrapping up my thesis over the winter break.

I am really interested in theory,topology, and algebra (though I haven't formally studied it yet). How can I apply to graduate programs for mathematics, and how important is the subject GRE. Since I haven't taken abstract algebra, I am scared to take it, heard all the questions are on rings.

I am thinking about applying to schools that handle theoretical computer science or that do pure math. I don't really know where to start looking, and I am scared I lack the required background. Any suggestions?

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you help with the solution or looking for help too?
Draft saved Draft deleted