Switching fields in physics - statement of research interests

In summary, the speaker is seeking a postdoc in a new field, having completed a Ph.D. in plasma physics and briefly worked in environmental science. They specialize in computational physics and are interested in physics postdocs that require computational expertise. They are currently struggling with the 'Future Research' section of their statement of research interests, as they have not yet fully immersed themselves in the literature of the new field. They are seeking advice on how to approach writing this section, whether to focus on their interests or the type of research they want to do, and what kind of research topics would be well-received by a hiring committee given their background.
steelmouse387
Hi all. I'm currently looking for a postdoc in a new field. My Ph.D. is in plasma physics, and after a short stint doing fluid mechanics in an environmental science department, I'm ready to go back to a physics department. My expertise is really in computational physics as much as plasma physics, and so I'm looking broadly at physics postdocs in subfields that require computational expertise. This means that I'm tackling the problems encountered by someone who is switching fields.

I'm currently writing my statement of research interests, and my final section - the 'Future Research' section - is proving difficult. On the one hand, obviously I've read a paper or two in this new field and think it sounds interesting, or else I wouldn't be applying. On the other hand however, I'm in no position to write what would effectively be a short research proposal, since I haven't yet digested the literature of the new field to a sufficient degree.

How would you approach writing this section?

Physics news on Phys.org
Do you think it's better to focus on the kind of research I'm interested in, or more on the kind of research I want to do? Also, what kind of research topics are likely to be well-received by a hiring committee (given my background)? Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

What does "switching fields in physics" mean?

Switching fields in physics refers to the process of changing your area of research interest within the broader field of physics. This can involve shifting from one subfield to another, or even transitioning to a completely different discipline within physics.

Why would someone want to switch fields in physics?

There are several reasons why someone may want to switch fields in physics. These can include a desire for new challenges, a change in research interests or career goals, or the opportunity to collaborate with new colleagues and explore different areas of physics.

What is a statement of research interests?

A statement of research interests is a document that outlines your current research focus, as well as your future plans and goals in terms of research. It is often required as part of a job or graduate school application, and can also serve as a way to communicate your research interests to potential collaborators or colleagues.

How should one approach writing a statement of research interests?

When writing a statement of research interests, it is important to clearly and concisely articulate your current research focus and any relevant past research experience. It is also helpful to discuss any future research directions you are interested in pursuing and how they may align with the goals of the institution or program you are applying to.

Can someone switch fields in physics without prior experience in the new field?

Yes, it is possible to switch fields in physics without prior experience in the new field. However, it may require additional effort and self-study to familiarize yourself with the new concepts and techniques. It can also be helpful to seek guidance and mentorship from experts in the new field to facilitate the transition.