Switching from engineering to math.

• Thread starter whoyameye
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Engineering
In summary, the individual is currently studying mechanical engineering but finds themselves more interested in pure math and theoretical physics. They have a decent GPA in math but their overall undergraduate GPA is low due to not enjoying the courses. They have one more year left to improve their GPA and are wondering if they can pursue a graduate degree in math. The admissions process for graduate programs looks at both overall GPA and relevant subject GPA, so it is important to improve their overall GPA. The individual can also consider an undergraduate degree in math if a graduate degree is not possible. It is important to research different universities and make the best decision for their future.
whoyameye
I am not sure if a similar question has already been asked.. hmm.. anyway..
I am currently doing mechanical engineering. But, I find myself more inclined towards pure math and theoretical physics. I think math is my calling.Something I enjoy without forcing myself to. My math subject gpa is pretty decent i guess.. 3.7. :confused: But,my overall undergrad gpa is currently very low 2.7. Mostly because I am not happy with the course. I am finding most of the subjects boring except for the theoretical aspects of it. I think i made a wrong choice.I have one more year left to complete under-grad.At the max, I might be able to bring up my overall gpa to 3. My questions are:
1. Is it possible for me to do a graduate course in mathematics provided I study the necessary math I've missed out on ? If yes, will my overall gpa matter or is it just the math subject gpa that will be considered? How much will the math subject gre matter?
2. If it is not possible , should I consider doing an undergrad in math?

Physics news on Phys.org
It is possible to pursue a graduate degree in mathematics after completing an undergraduate degree in mechanical engineering. The admissions process for graduate programs typically looks at both the overall GPA and the GPA in relevant subjects. Therefore, if you would like to pursue a degree in mathematics, it is important to improve your overall GPA. There are various resources available to help you do so, such as tutorial sessions, tutoring, and online courses. Additionally, the Graduate Record Examination (GRE) can be important for admission into mathematics graduate programs, so it is wise to prepare for this as well. If you decide that a graduate degree in mathematics is not right for you, you may want to consider an undergraduate degree in mathematics. It may be easier to get into a mathematics program with a lower GPA, and you can still utilize the knowledge gained from your mechanical engineering studies to supplement your knowledge of mathematics. You should research the requirements of different universities to determine which one is the best fit for you. No matter which path you choose, it is important to take the time to explore your options and make sure that you are making the best decision for your future. Good luck!

1. What inspired you to make the switch from engineering to math?

I have always been interested in math since I was young. After working in the engineering field for some time, I realized that my true passion lies in the abstract concepts and problem-solving skills involved in mathematics. I also found that math allows for more creativity and theoretical thinking, which I found to be more fulfilling.

2. How does your background in engineering help in your new role as a mathematician?

My background in engineering has given me a strong foundation in problem-solving, critical thinking, and analytical skills. These skills are crucial in the field of mathematics as they allow me to approach complex problems in a systematic and logical manner. Additionally, my engineering background has also provided me with a strong understanding of mathematical applications in various industries such as technology and finance.

3. What challenges did you face during the transition from engineering to math?

One of the main challenges I faced was adjusting to the different mindset required in mathematics. While engineering focuses more on practical applications and tangible results, mathematics involves more abstract thinking and theoretical concepts. It took some time for me to shift my thinking and approach problems in a different way.

4. How do you see the overlap between engineering and math in your current work?

There is a significant overlap between engineering and math in my current work. Many engineering problems involve complex mathematical equations and models, and my understanding of both fields allows me to effectively analyze and solve these problems. Additionally, my knowledge of engineering principles helps me to apply mathematical concepts in practical ways.

5. What advice would you give to someone considering switching from engineering to math?

My advice would be to carefully consider your interests and strengths before making the switch. A strong background in mathematics is crucial in this field, so it's important to have a genuine interest and passion for the subject. It's also helpful to gain some exposure to mathematics through courses or self-study before making the switch to ensure it's the right decision for you.