1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Switching from ME to EE

1. Mar 13, 2014 #1
    Would it theoretically be possible for a mechanical engineer to complete an undergrad degree and then do a masters in EE after 5 or 10 years working in industry? Would this be easier with an EE undergrad degree and then masters in ME? The reason I ask this is because I would like to potentially work designing cars, planes etc, but I also enjoy working with and modifying the hardware on computers.
    Also it seems as if EE and computer engineers may be better programmers/network engineers if the role requires a knowledge of software and hardware. So I can't decide whether to pick ME or EE for undergraduate...

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 14, 2014 #2
    I don't think the coursework overlaps much. It really depends on the program. There may even be schools that have a hybrid program for people like you. In general you could do ME with EE minor or CompSci minor and you'd be in a good position to land your target job.

I would speak with an advisor in the school you're looking at.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook