Switching Math Sections: Advice & Experiences

• Thread starter fei1
  • Start date
In summary, the student struggled with keeping up with the details and problems in a fast section of Real Analysis I class. He relied on friends, the TA, and problem sessions to get through the course. He felt like he was not capable and was constantly struggling. He decided to switch to a slower section but is still concerned about not being able to adjust well to other sections.
fei1
Hi everyone. Last semester I took a "fast" section of Real Analysis I (Rudin) and struggled immensely. In class, I often felt like I somehow got lost in the details and missed out on what each theorem was actually doing--i.e. the big picture. And I was not great with the details. Most other kids seemed to be able to keep up, but I often stared at my notes trying to figure out how certain steps followed.

When doing problem sets, I started as soon as possible but usually ended up getting nowhere and feeling discouraged. Throughout the semester I relied on friends, the TA, problem sessions to grind my way through each set. By the end of the semester I almost never slept on the night before a set was due. Part of the problem was that problem sessions were always on the night before the set was due and, by relying on them when doing my sets, I always ended up pulling miserable all-nighters.

I kept plugging away like this throughout the semester, spending a lot of my time in the library looking at math, because I thought I was still capable. I mean, I thought I was doing bad because either I was not trying hard enough or I had a confidence/psychological issue or something. Sometimes, even really easy/obvious problems escaped me so when I finally saw it I just thought this was just my mind playing with me.

In the end I made it through the course with a bad grade and now have to decide whether to keep taking this fast section or not. I felt I've learned a lot from the class. And I liked the class for the fact that the teacher/TA really cared about the students and were organized. If I switch I feel like I'm going to regret missing the chance to learn more. I'm also concerned that I won't be able to adjust as easily to other sections because they cover slightly different material.

At the same time, in the fast section, I always felt I was behind the other students. I hated having to rely on other people on almost all of my problems--I mean, I want to be able to solve problems for myself. Also, the class began to take all of my time. While math is interesting, I also hope to pursue other interests while at college, so I don't want go through another semester like my last. Of course, in the slower section,
I have higher hopes for my grade as well.

Is it possible that I struggled in my previous class because I was was, um, sort of "psyching" myself out? Would a change to a slower section be a solution to this situation?

Anyways, can anyone pass along any advice, comments, or experiences about this situation? Sorry for long post.

Physics news on Phys.org
It's hard to give advice here without actually knowing you. Have you tried speaking to your professor and academic advisor(s) about the situation? They could offer some valuable help.

Also, have you tried using a different textbook?

I'd be really hesitant to stay in the fast section. What does analysis II cover? If they're teaching multivariable/differential forms/lebesgue integrals out of rudin, I'd get the heck out. If you thought chapters 1-7 were hard, you have no idea.

If analysis II moves onto measure theory out of a different book, you're also sunk. It relies on a 100% mastery of basic real analysis.

If analysis II moves in a different direction (e.g. MIT's analysis II is completely different than analysis I), you may have a chance.

1. What is the purpose of switching math sections?

Switching math sections allows students to select a math class that better fits their learning style or schedule. It may also be necessary if a student is struggling in their current math class and needs to move to a different level.

2. How do I know if switching math sections is the right decision for me?

Consider your reasons for wanting to switch and discuss them with your academic advisor or math teacher. They can help you determine if switching sections is the best choice for your academic goals and progress.

3. Will switching math sections affect my transcript or GPA?

In most cases, switching math sections will not impact your transcript or GPA. However, if you are switching to a different math level, it is important to check with your school's policies to ensure that the new class will count towards your degree requirements.

4. Can I switch math sections mid-semester?

In most cases, switching math sections mid-semester is not recommended as it can disrupt your learning and progress in the class. However, if there is a valid reason for switching, such as a schedule conflict, you can discuss it with your academic advisor or math teacher to see if accommodations can be made.

5. How can I make the transition smoother when switching math sections?

It is important to communicate with your new math teacher and inform them of your previous math experiences and any topics you may need extra help with. It may also be helpful to review any material covered in your previous math class to ensure a smooth transition into the new section.