Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Switching question.

1. Mar 7, 2015 #1
    I have a device that I am working on and am stumped.
    This device runs off of a 9 volt rechargeable battery that is difficult to access to recharge.
    I would like to retrofit a plug into the device that would allow me to charge the batt without the electronics down line of the batt getting any power while charging.
    This would keep me from having to remove the batt every time I need to charge it.
    Any ideas?
    Thanks in advance.

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 7, 2015 #2

phinds

Gold Member
    2016 Award

just add a switch that switches the battery output from the circuit to the recharger.

4. Mar 7, 2015 #3

billy_joule

Science Advisor

Use a switching jack to remove the battery's connection to the circuit when the charger is plugged in.

5. Mar 7, 2015 #4

billy_joule

Science Advisor

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/proxy/LdMotE2OxZupTZz8SKqHsbJUIR-iJnANot-h0IS55jW53iDK_QqNbHxYyZi-aRp0rzJWixrkoeIl1gX1E2i00P3ejfthmN9FYP-JeraiXOKs21v8wjRsFgjiEQOFKBHpv6aoNKRbTFZS2IUrhhSUbscMP11WmF4=w306-h117-nc
    When the charger plug is inserted the switch is opened. You can find them in most appropriate jack types.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook