Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Switzerland Invades Lichtenstein

1. Mar 3, 2007 #1
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 22, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 4, 2007 #2
    Uups, that's an embarassing situation!
    Since I live in Switzerland, I'm aware of the bad geographic orientation of the Swiss army! :smile:
  4. Mar 4, 2007 #3
    I'm kind of surprised that Switzerland has an army - aren't they permanently neutral or something?
  5. Mar 4, 2007 #4
    they do permanent guard duty at the vatican.
  6. Mar 4, 2007 #5
    I believe that is regulated in their laws. Just because they are neutral does not mean that they do not have a defense towards an aggressive attack on their soil.

There is a difference between the Swiss Guard and the Swiss Army.
  7. Mar 4, 2007 #6
    Switzerland is one huge fortress. The entire male adult population is armed and that pictoresque mountain shack posed strategically near a mountain pass is probably an antitank gun in disguise.
  8. Mar 7, 2007 #7
    In the Swiss Army, you learn how to defend yourself with weapons as for example an assault rifle or a tank. However, the main aim of the Swiss Army is to manage the surviving of the Swiss people in an emergency. During or after a natural disaster, the help of the Army may be a great support.
    Also, the Swiss Army is involved in the conservation of nature and natural resources.
    Sometimes, when a big event like a concert or a sport event takes place, the Swiss Army people provide a security.
  9. Mar 7, 2007 #8
    They also wear funny costumes, and protect the pope :smile:
  10. Mar 7, 2007 #9
    Again, there is a difference between the Swiss Army and the Swiss Guard.
  11. Mar 7, 2007 #10
    There is also a whole bunch of similarities for example the recruitment process, and the fact you have to be in the swiss army before you are in the guard.. :smile:
    thanks for reiterating your point however
    Last edited: Mar 7, 2007
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook