Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Swooping in from the Ether?

1. May 11, 2007 #1

FredGarvin

Science Advisor

I have noticed this more and more lately and I am really wondering about this...

Have you noticed that a thread will be posted about any kind of topic. Engineering, physics, politics, etc...It doesn't matter. If you get the right type of topic, there is, a lot of times, someone that comes along with a 0 or 1 post count to defend a certain position. In the engineering or physics side, they are usually free energy whackos or space elevator J.O.s. These people have never had anything else to do with PF or any other discussions yet they pop up at somewhat opportune times to spread their opinions.

How do people manage this? Do some people sit out there and search the internet for their pet topic just for the opportunity to spread their word? Is there some kind of internet search program that constantly scours for some kind of key word for them? When it pops up, a bat signal goes off and they don their cape and utility belt and swoop in to save the day.

2. jcsd
  3. May 11, 2007 #2

matthyaouw

Gold Member

Perhaps these guys are regulars to the forum as guests but just don't say anything until they feel they have something to contribute. I lurk on quite a few forums that are of slight interest to me but not enough to warrant registering, and have been known to register largely to contribute to one or two discussions that are of interest.

4. May 11, 2007 #3
    Wait until the google spiders eat this, then we'll get all the Ether freaks.

5. May 11, 2007 #4
    I thought spiders ate chicken? :tongue:

I'm like matthyaouw in that I will lurk at some sites and then if a topic stirs me I will join to contribute.

6. May 11, 2007 #5

Astronuc

Staff: Mentor

Checking the activity of GD, 227 (8 members & 219 guests), and I have seen more.

So people seem to maintain a certain level of anonymity until they decide to participate, which may be inititated by a particular thread/discussion.

7. May 11, 2007 #6

FredGarvin

Science Advisor

The guest aspect seems very logical to me. I never really thought about not registering somewhere. If it is worth me spending my time to lurk, I at least register.

OK, so it's not some techno mystery after all.

8. May 11, 2007 #7

Evo

Or they could be sock puppets created by the OP to support their theory.

9. May 11, 2007 #8

Office_Shredder

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

No, it's actually the OP in alternate quantum dimensions (ala many worlds theory) that are still closely related enough to ours that overlap exists, meaning each alternate version of the OP posts on the board in 10 or 12 different 'universes'

10. May 11, 2007 #9

FredGarvin

Science Advisor

Oooh! I like that one better! It has a hint of underhandedness.

So now the question begs to be asked...Do post counts in alternate dimensions count?

11. May 11, 2007 #10

Chi Meson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

"Sock puppets"! So there is a name for those. I was calling them "dopplegangers" but I like sock puppets better.

So, we have trolls, lurkers, sock puppets,

what could be the name for those who actually do google their pet topic and swoop in on a thread? I think Fred is on to something here, and I'm certain some are doing just that. "Sniffers"?

Last edited: May 11, 2007
  12. May 11, 2007 #11

russ_watters

Fred, that's exactly how it happens. Do a google for something - anything - that we've discussed a lot here and you'll get hits for PF way up on Google.

13. May 11, 2007 #12

berkeman

Sounds logical, but if they are truly faithful lurkers, they would have seen us Mentors droning on and on about "no crackpot posts" and "show your work" in the Homework forums, and "no insulting other members" and so on. So why would a lurker register all of a sudden and start posting nonsense?

I'm more partial to the Spiders and Sniffers theory, in 4 dimensions only please. :blushing:

14. May 12, 2007 #13

Chi Meson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

"Ether sniffers"! Kinda explains the whole thing, don't it?

15. May 12, 2007 #14
    Is (or did) someone suggesting a review committee for each member that applies to the PF?

---------------------------
    Do some people want to make PF a closed (member application type) forum?

Last edited: May 12, 2007
  16. May 12, 2007 #15

FredGarvin

Science Advisor

That would be one very busy committee. Nothing so draconian.

Ether sniffers. I like it. Shorten to E-Sniffer?

17. May 12, 2007 #16
  18. May 12, 2007 #17

Chi Meson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Yeah, Draconians only.

You were joking right?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?