Sylow Subgroups

Hello all.. It's been quite some time since I've been here, so I doubt any of you remember me.

Anyhow, I'll get to my discussion..

I'm graduating in May with my BS in Math/Physics. I'm currently doing independent studies in Coding Theory as well as some higher abstract algebra.

I've been working on a problem I found in an old Abstract Algebra book for 3.5 weeks now and I finally have it solved but my details aren't clear enough for my satisfaction.

The detail I'm trying to pretty-up is: I've got three 2-Sylow subgroups of a group G where |G| = 48, and so the orders of the Hi's are 16 (where the Hi's are the 2-Sylow subgroups. I would like to show that |H1 intersect H2| = |H1 intersect H3| = |H2 intersect H3|

any idears?

Answers and Replies

mathwonk
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
2020 Award
aren't all the sylow subgroups conjugate to each other? does that help?

Yes, they are.. I've worked up to getting a homomorphism where: there is a g in G such that g*(H1 int H2)g^(-1) = H2 int H3, g*(H1 int H3)g^(-1) = H1 int H2, and g*(H2 int H3)g^(-1) = H1 int H3...

mathwonk
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
2020 Award
well? does that do it?

I can't recall all the details of an automorphism.. does it preserve order?

mathwonk
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
2020 Award
well an automorphism is a bijection that also preserves the group operation. you should be able to capitalize just on the fact it is a bijection.

I'm an idiot.. ha.. I love it when it's staring you right in the face like that haha.. thanks wonk.

mathwonk
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
2020 Award
it is indeed a pleasure to be of service.