1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Sylow's First Theorem

1. Oct 6, 2012 #1
    I'm getting a little confused about what exactly Sylow's first theorem says.

On Wikipedia, it says that Sylow's First Theorem says "For any prime factor p with multiplicity n of the order of a finite group G, there exists a Sylow p-subgroup of G, of order p^n."

Then in the section of the proof it is restated as "A finite group G whose order |G| is divisible by a prime power p^k has a subgroup of order p^k."

To me, these seem like they are saying two different things. The first seems like its only guaranteeing subgroups of prime power where the prime power is maximal (p^k where |G|=p^km where p does not divide m), while the second seems to be saying there are subgroups of order p^1, p^2, p^3, ... p^(k-1), p^k. Am I misunderstanding something?

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 6, 2012 #2
    The book has a slightly stronger statement as Sylow's Theorem than what the wikipedia article says. However, if P is a p-group of order p^k then there is a subgroup of order p^j for 0 <= j <= k. To prove this, you can use induction and the fact that p-groups have non-trivial centers and the fact that abelian groups (you can only use abelian properties for the center) have subgroups of order p for every prime that divides the order of the group (there is probably an exercise or this is a theorem where this fact is proven).

4. Oct 6, 2012 #3
    Sylow's firs theorem is basically saying that for any prime factor p with multiplicity n of the order of a finite group G, there exists a Sylow p-subgroup of G, of order p^n.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook