1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Sylow's theorem

1. Nov 8, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    LET G BE A FINITE GROUP WHOSE ORDER IS DIVISIBLE BY THE PRIME P. SUPPOSE P^M IS THE HIGHEST POWER OF P WHICH IS A FACTOR OF |G|AND SET K=(|G|/P^M), THEN THE GROUP G CONTAINS AT LEAST ONE SUBGROUP OF |P^M|.

I have the proof but can someone explain it in simpler terms? Maybe even a few examples please.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    Let X denote the collect of all subsets of G which have p^m elements and let G act on X by left translation so that the group element g is in G sends the subset A in X to gA. The size of X is the binomial coefficient kp^m choose p^m which is not divisible by p. Hence, there must be an orbit G(A) whose size is not a multiple of p. We have |G|=|G(A)|*|G(subA)|, consequently |G(subA)| is divisible by p^m. Now G(subA) is the stabilizer of A, so if a is in A and g is in G(subA), the ga is in A. This means that the whole right coset of G(subA)a is contained in A whenever a is in A and |G(subA)| cannot exceed p^m. Therefore, G(subA) is a subgroup of G which has order p^m.

Last edited: Nov 8, 2009
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 9, 2009 #2
    The statement is pretty simple. It says that if you have a Group of order n, where n has factoriaztion p^k * m, where p is a prime number, then there exists a subgroup of order p^k.

The proof is a bit tricky, since it's in direct. What about it is confusing you?

4. Nov 9, 2009 #3
    could you maybe give me a few examples? It makes sense but the proof is a bit rough for me.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook